deleting empty layers

reyems

ARRRGGGG! :x I have kept all your (those who have helped me before) suggestions from previous variations of this problem, but none of them seem to be working. I have a layer, which appears to be empty, that will not delete, purge or even move to a different layer using the laymrg command. This drawing has no xref'd layers. And my understanding was that even if this layer has some type of block associated with it, I would still be able to merge it with another layer.

Am I missing something basic here? Thanks!

Sometimes AutoCAD just likes to mess with you :wink:

Kidding aside, if you are indeed very sure that the layer is empty and you want to remove it you can.... and I just noticed that you have LT so Express Tools are out of the question... darn :( You don't happen to have a full ACAD somewhere?

Actually my boss (who hardly ever uses it!) has the full version. So, if there is an express tool that would work I could actually make him earn a little of his money!

Sorry for going off-topic a little; but why not suggest to your boss that you swap his full version of CAD for your LT version, on the basis that you use more of the functionality of the programme, and will therefore be more efficient

Actually my boss (who hardly ever uses it!) has the full version. So, if there is an express tool that would work I could actually make him earn a little of his money!

There is the Express command LAYDEL that delets layers, no matter if there are objects on it. So be careful with it!

Thanks Tiger! Nice to know.

NBC: if I had the type of boss that would swap out his AutoCAD version, believe me there would be much other important fish I would try to go after! :) On the plus side, I am very pleased with how much the LT version can actually do. Thanks for the interest.

Using LT, have you tried using QSELECT to select the layer by name and then LIST to make sure that there is nothing on it?

If you realy want to you could use QSELECT for the layer then delete to get rid of all objects on it.

If you have block that contains an empty layer, then it is almost impossible to catch in the parent drawing. You would to wblock or open each child insert and purge it and then update the parent drawing.

It could also be a layer that is referenced ( frozen ) in a viewport. Try _.VPLAYER _Thaw the offending layer. Maybe that will help.

If it is a SEQEND entity in a heavy polyline that contains and empty layer, that's another almost impossible to catch.

Good Luck! -David

I am not in the office right now. Thank you so much for all the help. I did in fact have my boss use the laydel command, but would also like to try and use the quick select as suggested, since 1) I don't have the full version and 2) I agree that laydel is dangerous. So, I would like to exhaust all possibilities first.

I don't know that I will be able to upload the file...corporate IT security restrictions, but I will make an attempt. However, it will not be until Monday. Thanks, again for everyone's help and support. I love this place!

I don't know that I will be able to upload the file...corporate IT security restrictions, but I will make an attempt. However, it will not be until Monday. Thanks, again for everyone's help and support. I love this place!

Since it is a layer that is seemingly empty but not - you should in theory be able to delete everything else then upload the file, so no secrets should come with it. But if the IT-dep says so, it must be obeyed :wink:

This is an old issue (I think?) and may have been resolved in one of the similar threads below. We can't ascerteined that since you are "IT security restricted" to upload that file.

Well, Good luck on Monday!