How to weld two tubes T style connection.

sakne79

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JD Mather

• sakne79

• CadBeginner23

• Demetrios_Gr

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

Brand new to inventor here..

Weird thing, I'm also looking for how to create exact same weld in the design that I'm doing. Except, I can't seem to make the "cut" in the one tube. Could you tell me how you did this? I might be able to figure out the weld after that, as I have already done a few of those.

Cheers

I've gotten a little further than my previous post..

I kind of got the "cut" that I was talking about, as you can see in my "Upright" file. Although this is incorrect -- as you can see one side of the cylinder is longer than the other.

What I did to create the "cut":

- Set up a work plane and created a point.

- I dimensioned this point to the top of the cylinder(I want to dimension it to the side of the cylinder so I know that its precisely in the middle- but cannot figure out how)

- Eventually I made a hole using the point to create a 3" groove for which will butt up against the other part

- Then I deleted the rest of the faces

So now I have (almost) both pieces, all I need to do is assemble them and make the weld. I did a 90 degree angle constraint and a couple mates to no avail. The 2008 inventor help guide isn't so helpful for assemblies of this nature.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Uprights.jpg

Top.jpg

assembly.jpg

Set up a work plane.

Don't need

and created a point.

Don't need.

(I want to dimension it to the side of the cylinder so I know that its precisely in the middle- but cannot figure out how)

Project Geometry sketch circle extrude cut

- Then I deleted the rest of the faces

Too much work.

You might also look into using the Frame Generator.

Attach your files here.

Can you attach what you have completed so far?

Yeah! Can you explain how to do that with same size tubes!

Note:

I use to have welder certificate. In reality the most advanced weldment is tube under 45 degres welded to vertical face. There are all possible dimensions included.

Project Geometry sketch circle extrude cut

Too much work.

You might also look into using the Frame Generator.

Attach your files here.

Okay... I got the project geometry done- much easier.. Thank you!

Now I'm working on the assembly, I'm attaching the .iam file, as you can see I mostly have the one upright constrained, however I can't keep it from rotating. How would I go about this?

Also, as you can see, I can too many constraints, there has to be easier way...

Railings.zip

I also noticed tht your Sketch2 is not constrained.

And that you did not use the Lump option when deleting the extra faces which would have made it one pick.

But I wound not use Delete Face anyhow.

A half arc and Split (part option) would have done the trim of the part with less work.

Even easier - start using Frame Generator.

Also, as you can see, I can too many constraints, there has to be easier way...

Yep, it is called Skeletal Modeling Technique or sometimes Master Modeling. Search for tutoials. Done correctly you don't really need any assembly constraints.

Would like to read more stuf like that!

There are many more tutorials at the link in my signature. I have not had time to keep them up-to-date as the software changes, but most of the stuff can be figured out.

Update:

Checked out some frame generator tutorials and I finally figured out the method you referred to me... Thanks again for the guidance- very much appreciated.

Now I'm back to the original poster's question as to how I get the fillet welds at the mating of the parts?

I can click the top cylinder as one of the parts, but I cannot just get the "face" of the upright cylinder?

File is attached.

Assembly.zip

Don't think we've covered this ground as I'm completely new to this "top-down" approach.. Actually new to this whole "inventor" approach lol.

Is there a simple way to create parts from my assembly?

My mistake. Your mistake was attaching only iam file is only a record of hyperlinks and 3d constraints. Like your car, an assembly without parts is useless. You must include the ipt files whenever sending a assembly. (Can I interest you in purchasing a picture of a Corvette assembly - cheap.)