Import Revit into Inventor

Denimoth

Here's an interesting question I have for the more experienced users out there.

What I do: Draw up submittal drawings and fabrication drawings of custom made ornamental guardrails, smoke baffles and/or panel systems, commonly found on stairs or atriums. These drawings need to show the relationships between the railing (or other product) and existing structures i.e. walls, floors, ceilings, raised platforms, etc. for coordination with other trades on the job site and to show how our product gets fastened to these other trades, if additional wood blocking is required inside a gypsum board wall for example so that our handrail can be securely fastened to that wall.

Inventor probably isn't the best tool to use to draw up the floors and walls with their finishes. But Revit would do this quite nicely.

The problem: I think we all know we can't import a Revit specific model into Inventor without having to save it in a .SAT format. In my Revit model, the walls would have gypsum board over steel stud framing. The floor would be concrete with granite tiles over them, and a gypsum board ceiling beneath. I can draw that in Revit without too much difficulty (never trained in it), but when I convert to .SAT format, the "layers" that make up the walls or floors get lost. It all becomes one solid chunk. If i did a section detail in Inventor, I won't see the line that make up the inside surface of the gypsum board against the stud framing. Same with the floor tiles.

The question: Does .SAT format inherently loose the distinction between materials? Or is there some kind of setting I'm not aware of that will maintain the different materials in a wall or floor so that it will still be visible in Inventor?

Any help or suggestions I could use would be helpfull.

Thanks.

BTW, I am currently using Inventor and Revit 2010

Yes, the SAT file will make the Revit Model lose the material distinction.

Question for you...have you thought about creating a subassembly that is the same each time but slightly modifiable so that when placed into an assembly you could just change a few things and make it work for a new design or does it always have to come from a RVT file?

Personally if it does not NEED to come from a RVT file I would say make a easily modifiable wrapper assembly for your designs.

Yeah, I guess I'd have to make a subassembly. I just figured it would be quicker to use Revit for that portion of the job since Revit was designed to easily draw up a buildings structure. I can do it in Inventor, but would have to draw all different materials separately, then make sure it doesn't accidentally get included in any BoM's or anything.

The jobs are always different, and I wouldn't be able to use a typical assembly file with slight modifications. A lot of architects have wonky ideas. Makes my job interesting though. :)

• 9 years later...
I to solve this problem I created a customized software that based on the parameters exported by dynamo and the revit family identifies a template inventor and configures it