tracking changes

zera

Not sure if this is the right category for this, but does anyone know of a way to track changes in autocad? This can be as simple as a txt file with a log. Ideally, I would like something that does kind of like excel where it highlights changes. We've recently had several unauthorized changes made to drawings. I know how to view who last saved the file, but was wondering if there was a way to do so where it provides more information.

Thanks,

Zera

The 'Maintain a Logfile' setting should be in your TOOLS - OPTIONS - Open and Save.

Also look in the help at- LOGFILEON, LOGFILEOFF, LOGFILEMODE, LOGFILEPATH, LOGFILENAME

Is there a way of doing this so that it adds in the name of the user? Can this be done for use over a private network? Basically is the log settings tracked by the program, or is it linked to the file itself.

The previous method works, I'm just looking for more information to be logged.

Thanks,

Hmmm...

I think you could use MODEMACRO on startup to set the command prompt to the Autocad username which would then show in the log.

Of course that only tells you who the Autocad is registered to, not who is using it; no way around that with any programme.

Plus someone could always turn it back to "Command:" by simply turning MODEMACRO off again.

For use over a private network - Just specify a common LOGFILEPATH on the server where you want all the logs to be.

Is it linked to the file - No it is a stand alone log file.

If you go this route you will need to clean out the directory of old logs now and again.

You say that you already know who last saved the drawing so if you find a drawing that has been altered you would open the latest logfile for that drawing and see what commands were used. It would be nice if the command prompt had their name, but even without it you now have who last saved the drawing and what commands they had used before saving it.

Presumably once you prove who is changing them without authorisation they will be reprimanded and/or shown the door and you will no longer need to keep logs.