drawing a bolt

Elektryk

im having trouble drawind a 3d solid bolt.....

its 5/16 thick 3/4in long and .5 in head and a nut on it....

and i also have a bearing on that bolt..

the bearing is 1/4 thick outside is 7/8 and inside is 5/16

can anyone help?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elektryk

• JD Mather

• SuperCAD

• Bill Tillman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Or better yet:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5834&highlight=screw+thread

There is a flaw with Ellen's video. The threads are not perpendicular to the root body. She missed the step where you have to align the thread profile with the helix.

What are you drawing that requires a threaded bolt? Speaking from experience, it's almost a waste of time to go to this level of detail. If you're like me and just want to see if you can do it, then have at it. If not, then I wouldn't as there are simpler ways to show a threaded part.

Or better yet:

There is a flaw with Ellen's video. The threads are not perpendicular to the root body. She missed the step where you have to align the thread profile with the helix.

I haven't looked at the video yet, but if you are referring to using the align option of Sweep, that would be incorrect.

If you chase a thread on a lathe with a single point tool the top face of the 60° toll remains parallel to the floor, that it, it does not continuously align perpendicular to the helix spline.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/CAD238/AutoCAD%202007%20Tutorial%204.pdf

PS: OK I loooked through the video and the threadform does not look like any thread I have seen before. Didn't take the time to check where it went wrong.

PS: OK I loooked through the video and the threadform does not look like any thread I have seen before. Didn't take the time to check where it went wrong.

I've done the same thread and I know that something is missing from her method. It's either align or base point, because my threads have turned out wrong when I didn't use those options. She wasn't making a particular threadform in that video. I've seen the step by step method and she got it right on that one. She just screwed up (no pun intended) in the video.

Or better yet:

What are you drawing that requires a threaded bolt? Speaking from experience, it's almost a waste of time to go to this level of detail. If you're like me and just want to see if you can do it, then have at it. If not, then I wouldn't as there are simpler ways to show a threaded part.

actually no it does't have to be threaded... all i need is to show just the tip of the bolt and then the nut and the bearing on it... maybe i could get away without the thread but then again im having trouble drawing the nut the head and the bearing... the bearing i dont even know where to start ;(

I've done the same thread and I know that something is missing from her method. It's either align or base point, because my threads have turned out wrong when I didn't use those options. She wasn't making a particular threadform in that video. I've seen the step by step method and she got it right on that one. She just screwed up (no pun intended) in the video.

I agree the vid is flawed... The profile is swept incorrectly and also you always remove material never add. Cut threads are just that... Cut.

KC

actually no it does't have to be threaded... all i need is to show just the tip of the bolt and then the nut and the bearing on it... maybe i could get away without the thread but then again im having trouble drawing the nut the head and the bearing... the bearing i dont even know where to start ;(

You don't have to use helical threads just to show them. You can use a straight revolved profile and it looks pretty much the same. You can do it in 2D or 3D.

thread.JPG

For the bearing I would revolve the profile or cross section around an axis, (X in the picture), at the desired radius. You can do this for the inside and outside profiles. Then just polar array some spheres and you have a bearing.

bearing.jpg

KC

http://www.mcmaster.com

There are a lot of bolts that you can find CAD files for there. The threads are anything but perfect though, but good enough for just showing a picture. There are a lot of bolts in 3D as well. I snag CAD files from this site all the time and they are a preferred vendor where I work.

There are a lot of bolts that you can find CAD files for there. The threads are anything but perfect though, but good enough for just showing a picture. There are a lot of bolts in 3D as well. I snag CAD files from this site all the time and they are a preferred vendor where I work.

how do you get the cad files?

Download the 3-D SAT file (not all of them have this option though) and then "import" it into AutoCAD. You have to click on File and then Import in AutoCAD, select the SAT file and click OK.

Just a warning, you may have to scale the object for it to work. For instance, if you're working in imperial measurements some of the bolts will look enormous. You'll have to scale them by a 0.03937 scale factor.

i did imported and nothing happened

ACISIN command.

You might first open the file in Notepad and make sure it is ACIS v7 or earlier. Autodesk products will only read up to ACIS v7 (*.sat files).

In any case, it should only take 5-10 minutes to create these parts and good practice on easy stuff. What are you having difficulty with (zip and attach dwg attempt).