"File Not Valid"

Spiderguy

Hello peoples!

I have a serious problem! We have some old files from 1996 that when we try to open them AutoCAD replies "file not valid", then goes back to the open window for file selection. I am uploading one of the files that I need for an update on that job, I would appreciate any help in retrieving this information.

6259S601.dwg

That is indeed an invalid file. If you open a dwg file with notepad you should see in the header ACnnnn where nnnn is a code that represents a release. In your caase this information does not exist which is why AutoCAD cannot open it. My best guess is that it is a scan and it may open if you rename it .JPG or something. Sorry.

Thanks for the quick replies!

These were dwg files, evidently something may have happened to them when they were archived. I am hoping that there is a way of salvaging these files, there are many more jobs that I will eventually need access to the old dwgs and a lot of the files are the same way as well. I hope there is something that can be done!

Thanks

Matt

Dave, it does exist in that file - it's just that there appears to be a heap of 'junk' before it.

must admit I didn't look too hard.

In that case I would open the file with notepad (DO NOT use Word or anything that adds its own formatting), scroll until I found the AC line and then erase everything in font of it. Save the file then see if it opens with AutoCAD again.

In that case I would open the file with notepad (DO NOT use Word or anything that adds its own formatting), scroll until I found the AC line and then erase everything in font of it. Save the file then see if it opens with AutoCAD again.

I would just like to poke my nose in and say: "save A COPY OF the file" ...

Glen

I tried that earlier today - no joy but I was using wordpad not notepad.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys thanks for all of your help, as far as we know, there wasn't any kind of lock applied to the files. I do appreciate everyone's help and time! but I think these things are dead! It's probably for the better - some of the files I could "use" had so much junk in them from - um - let's just say they were not a friend to people editing their work!

You guys will never know what your help on these forums meen to people like me who can get in over our heads really quick!

Matt

• 3 years later...

Honestly, I don't know. Even by my standards that is an odd one. Don't even remember putting a post on this one. Hmm.

I iust deleted it. Not sure why it was posted when I was on Angry Birds