Snap Mode and Object Snap Time Line

AQucsaiJr

I was asked today if I am for Snap Mode or against Snap Mode being used in drawings. It is a very informal question but I can't really think of a reason why Snap Mode should not be used, other than it is annoying. So I pose this question...

Why would Snap Mode be needed if you can use Object Snap to start or end a Line segment? Is Snap Mode out dated, meaning was it a function that was introduced a while back and has since been superseded by other more powerful functions?

Just to be clear, I am not against the use of Snap Mode, but I would never recommend anyone use it because I find it unnecessary with all the other ways that AutoCAD has to start and end a line segment.

I worked with an engineer who insisted his drawings be set up with Snap and Grid. His reasoning was that all his symbols were sized to a sixteenth of an inch while grid and snap were set to a quarter of an inch. He could draw a line, leave a gap (for his symbol) and continue on, coming back later to insert all his symbols. It drove me nuts!

For schematic drawings it makes sense and when I worked on P&ID drawings at another job they insisted on it. I don't like working with snap on as the jerky movement of the cursor drives me crazy.

I prefer to use snap than OSNAP for electrical drawings. You know the lines will always be orthogonal which isn't in evidence on drawings done by people in our office who only use osnap. also being slightly OCD I can make sure my spacing is consistent using snap & grid

Hey Dave! Better teach those same people how to use Ortho mode!:lol:
teach some of them to draw

the problem is, you get somebody who moves a line or box, for no good reason, and leaves it JUST a little bit off the snap point. Then somebody else with OSNAP set draws from the end of that line to the end of another and arrays their new line. UGLY!!!