Text height setting concern

Wilbri

:?

I am aware that adjusting the text height can affect the dimension text.

And yet I have read articles on setting text height, font etc.,

My question is:

When is one able to set text height without it impacting on dimension text height and when can one not and why?

Are you usig a text style that has the height pre set if so create a new style but with the text height set to 0.0 this means that "text" will always ask for a height and your dimensions will use the text height in the dim style.

It would seem that my question is somewhat ambiguous so let me provide more detail.

Firstly the text I am referring to is line text style as apposed to dimension text style.

What concerns me is that the two seem to be related somehow.

Here is a short excerpt from a tutorial which prompted me to ask my question. This has to do with loading a new text style:

Select the New... Button and type in a name for your new text style.

Click on the Font Name edit box and select "romans.shx" as your new text style. This style will be used for all text and dimensioning in the next assignments. This is a common, clean font that AutoCAD can display quickly on the screen. No other adjustments are needed. Optionally you can set the width factor to a .8 - this allows you to fit text in narrower spaces at an 80% width.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT change the Height in this dialog box unless you really know why you are doing it. If you set a height here, AutoCAD will not be able to scale if for uses such as dimensioning, in other words, it is fixed at the height you set.

I hope that this clarifies my question.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT change the Height in this dialog box unless you really know why you are doing it. If you set a height here, AutoCAD will not be able to scale if for uses such as dimensioning, in other words, it is fixed at the height you set.
you can set up as many different text STYLEs as you want. Each style can have a different font, a different width and many other attributes. You CAN set a height in there but if you do, that style will ALWAYS have that height. The above warning is saying it is better to give each style a height of 0. This will allow you to change the height of any piece of text within the drawing at any time.

I have yet to come across a good reason for setting the style to anything other than 0.

Back in the "old" days presetting the height of the text in the Text Style window meant there was one less input required at the command line when inserting text.

Many thanks all.

It's now clear as daylight now.

"None so blind as those who will not see" as we say in English.

Create different text styles to signify selected text in the text style manager box.

Agreed, the the height of the text intended for dimensions to be set at 0 with the dimension height being selected in the dimension style box.

Which leads me to my next question:

Why is it that the text style does does not have a scale setting similar to the dimension style?

Why is it that the text style does does not have a scale setting similar to the dimension style?

There is in a roundabout way...it's annotative text

J1.jpg

Thank youall3Dmodel

I believe that this problem has been solved.

Thank you to "Ipseifert" for coming to my rescue regarding text scale

I was under the impression that it wasn't good practice to name a TEXTSTYLE with the name of a font... if you're going to, you should give it som sort of prefix or suffix to save confusion or clashes with items imported into the drawing. Am I wrong?