HOW TO? Identifying Eastings & Northings co-ords for a set out plan (AutoCAD Lt 2010)

Hi there, (new here and hope this is the right place to post this question)

I need to annotate a landscape plan so that the site can be set out by a surveyor using eastings and northings, as the site is many hundreds of metres long.

The survey i am using is already referenced with survey points labled in eastings and northings - so i want to know how do i pick / identify points on the (design) plan that will tell me what the coordinates are?

I know its possible because the office i work at has done it on past jobs with much older CAD versions and i have had a look through old files and there are points identified, that when you select them, the properties tool bar (under the Geometries tab) tells me what the vertex x & y (representing the respective eastings and northings). There is no one here now to tell me how to do it and i havent been able to find anything trawling through the internet.

Can anyone, tell me how to do it please or even give me a few pointers? Im totally lost and under the pump and need to get it done! ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!

You help is much appreciated!!

Many thanks,

Phoebe

Well to identify the x-y of a point, use the "id" command and pick a point.

i suppose you want to create a label of some sort quickly that places text for the easting/northing (well you didn't actually say that).

I was about to suggest a lisp routine at this site but then asw you were on LT.

In drawings that were labeled, what type of object is it when you list it?

Thankyou Carl, the 'id' command is very useful! And it is so simple but might actually solve my problem...

What i want to do on the drawing is show a point and a number that will correspond with a spreadsheet listing all the coordinate points for the set out. Im setting out things like the location of car parking bays, camping areas, revegetation zones, bollards, paths, roads etc. That was the way that the other drawings were set up and my boss wants to keep it all consistant.

"In drawings that were labeled, what type of object is it when you list it?" - The object was just a small circle block that had a text box above it with a refrence number corresponding to the spread sheet. Im assuming that they were maunally placed and not a CAD command like an auto dimenstion etc.

What is a lisp routine? I noticed that 'lisp' came up a lot when i was looking up ideas on the net...

Thanks so much Carl!

Cheers,

Phoebe

It does sound like blocks were manually placed at locations, with coordinates itemized in tabular information (spreadheet) The spreadsheet could then be placed on the drawing.

Information from the blocks could be automatically transferred to Excel, including the number (if an attritbute) and the x & y values, wit the EATTEXT command or similar.

To learn about lisp routines, browse down to the Lisp/customization section of this forum. Unfortunately, lisp routines can't be use in LT versions.

GDA I have to do alot of coords in LT and the best way I have found for my way of drawing is by droping points where I want the coords taken, I use a lot of keyboard commands and points are [PO], then I use [PDMODE] and I set it to 34 which makes points become a circle with a cross through it, then [PDsize] and I set it to 100 for a 1:50 scale drawing.

I always have to use text and leaders rather than tables as my manager beleives tabels to be the tool of the devil and that they are always wrong so I'll create my text and leader copy it around to all of the points I have dropped then list [LI] the points and that automatically brings up the text box so I can copy and paste the coordinate into my text box. This way I found lessens the chance of typo's as all you have to do is round up (if you want to) and add in decimals (again if you want to.)

I have just spoke to our engineer who uses tables and he said to create your table with columns for easting and northings then in the first column enter

= to start a formula

ctrl f to bring up fields

select object from the first column

click the icon over the second column

select the point from the drawing

select position from the second column

set up the format eg. decimal

deselect the relevent x,y,z coords from the third column

OK

then [/1000] to change to milimetres

[enter]

and that should work!

Phoebe,

You can't use LISP in LT. But you can use data extraction to create the table. If you simply want to display the coordinate, you can use field in your blocks.

Here are some example:

http://www.cad-notes.com/2009/11/how-to-label-coordinate-in-autocad.html

http://www.cad-notes.com/2009/12/reporting-multiple-coordinates-in-block.html

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunatley I can not figure it out. I have Cad LT 2009. I to would like to have coordinate points called out on a drawing. I am not sure how to use the attext command as I need to set up a template first and even if I do that it only popolates a .txt file and is not shown on my drawing. Is there an easy was to show the northing and easting on a CAD drawing for specific points.

Is there an easy was to show the northing and easting on a CAD drawing for specific points.

Have you tried the Ordinate option of Dimension? You need to do the Easting and Northing separately, but for only a few, it should be a quick way.

I tried that and it only gives me one option either x or y unless I do the command twice. And even at that it posts the y axis verticle not horizontal.

But yes that is almost what I am looking for. I would like to be able to point to a spot and have both the x and y axis called out.