Topographical Map

Ty_Ty

I need to create a topographical map. I have a .txt file with tons of points. I just need to create a contour map and from that map creat several profiles. Any idea on a step by step process on how I can accomplish this?

Bad news out of the box "Autocad" does not have an ability to create a surface model automatically.

You need civil 3d or a similar product either stand alone from autocad or and add on that will create a surface model as the first step.

There are a number of free packages out there or that are very reasonably priced (share ware style)

You could as per Lee mac or as I have done use an import points routine, problem is you have to manually join 3 points together with a 3d face and I then believe you could cut the surface to create profiles, thousands of points hours of work, thats why you have a surface model program.

It only takes a few minutes to do what you want if its a once off maybe ask here for help the forum has a lot of genourous members. we need to know where you are as the profiles style varies around the world.

TopoLT and ProfLT are two applications that runs on Autocad. The first one is useful for all those who design 3d terrain models and contours, the second for those who create and draw longitudinal and cross profile.

Are very easy to learn and use.

I hope this will help you.