Inventor Drawing dimensions point to point, aligned, curve

linnmaster

Hi.

Having a few difficulties when creating the drawing. When you dimension from point to point, is it possible to align the dimension to another edge that is not in line between the two points, nor horizontal, or vertical?

Also, sometimes I can't seem to pick the outer most edge of a circle or a curve to dimension to. It will only allow selection of the curve ends, the middle of the curve, a circle centre or arc centre, or a quadrant of a circle or an arc. Is there something else additional that I'm missing?

Regards, David

Can you attach examples of the behavior you are seeing and what you are after? I have read this several times and am not sure what is happening.

The first problem sounds like you are after a projected intersection, but not sure.

The second problem I have no clue.

Hi. Sorry about the delay.

I have attached a .dwg to try and illustrate what I want to achieve in Inventor with regards to my first question.

In the dwg file attached (ACAD 2007 format), I want to dimension from point 'a' to 'b' aligned with 'c'. How do you achieve this in Inventor?

The second question I'm still working on how I can explain it and find an example.

Thanks so much for your guidance and help.

Regards,

David

sample dimension.zip

In my more than 35 years in design and machining I have never seen a part dimensioned like that, but...

as noted by Pablo you can always make a view active (red boundary box)

hit S on the keyboard

Project Geometry whatever references needed and Right Mouse Button Done

add whatever construction or other geometry you need

exit sketch

dimension as needed.

You can elect to have the construction geometry used to aid in dimensioning hidden or visible if desired.

In my more than 35 years in design and machining I have never seen a part dimensioned like that, but...

Ha! Your so right ;-)

HA! It's just for an example lol - probably a bad example - heheh. I run into the tangent issue with sheetmetal as although the geometry may be quite normal and simple, the bend corner is always some sort of radius where I cannot get to the tangent, and upon selection of the curve, it always highlights the centre.

Thanks for all your help.

How about - Sketch a line from the centre of the arc to the edge of the arc. Use this to create your dimension, and then edit the sketch and change the sketched line's property to 'Construction Geometry'.

I see what you mean ....

Guess this is the only around? Thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

Thought I'd just put up a screen shot of why I have to need to want to dimension point to point, aligned parallel to another edge not vertical or horizonal, as the examples I provided earlier are like you say, "you would never dimension like that".

Not sure why other users have not experienced the occasion for such a requirement.

But all the "diagonal" dimensions require piont to centre point aligned parallel to the slope of the stairs ...

Of course, now I know how to do this by sketching geometry in the sketch.

sampledim.jpg