Drawing "nested" components

Wilbri

Hello

I would imagine that this concerns those involved in general mechanical engineering.

This concerns the most economical material usage.

From time to time I receive a request to provide a customer with details indicating various components of common thickness to be profile cut from a selected size of plate of common thickness.

This is commonly termed Nesting.

What I have been doing is copying a detail of the component, of which there could be many, onto a steel plate of the correct thickness laying and suitable standard size and then arraying the component in such a manner as to allow for a reasonable gap between to allow for cutting, be it by flame, laser or HP water.

I am aware that software programs exist commercially but due to the limited use can not justify the cost.

Your assistance in regarding this matter would be appreciated.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wilbri

• ReMark

• fuccaro

• David Bethel

So you're looking for some kind of program that will maximize the number of pieces you can cut from a single sheet of material with as little waste as possible, right?

I am aware that software programs exist commercially but due to the limited use can not justify the cost.

The reason that they are costly is that they are very complicated programs. Even for the 'Advanced Forums'

-David

Thank you David,

I would imagine that this is the reason for the commercial software being so expensive.

In that case I will stick to my present practice.

ReMark

Thank you for your reply and continuing interest in my question.

Unfortunately I have not found time to investigate your suggested Internet search.

I have been busy on an drawing assignment due for Monday morning.

Obtained a trial copy of AutoCad 2010 on Friday and installed it today.

Must admit that I was somewhat overwhelmed with the new ribbon format, so elected t0 use the "classic" version from which I have produced a drawing.

Very impressed but the price of the software for a single user, is a little more than I can presently afford.

I will investigate the 'Nesting' programs in the next few days.

I really appreciate your input

Kind regards

Thanks for the update.

Yes, the Ribbon. Not everyone is happy with it. Some users have done exactly what you have and switched to the classic version.

Hi furraco

I do not know what you are referring to!

I am a design engineer and "DO NOT FIND TIME TO PLAY GAMES"

Anyway if you read my question clearly the individual components do have gaps between them for reasons explained.

Your evil streak is evident in your reply.

Wilbri,

Of all of the people on this forum, Fuccaro is the least 'evil' of them all. I would suggest that you reconsider your agenda. -David

Wilbri

I wrote nothing against you, sorry for the missunderstanding.

As Mark says: let's focus the request. I did similar jobs positioning the shapes manually.

Maybe others will have good suggestions about software products doing that job?

Fuccaro

My sincere apologies for my cutting and sarcastic reply to your message.

I agree with all that it was not called for.

If I had bothered to look at your credentials I would have realised that you were not a joker.

Let's forget it, Wilbri.

I glad to see you got an answere to your question and I am looking forward to your next contributions to this site.