Is there?...trace the changes

Connect Project Tech

A way to find out who's been opening & saving drawings?

There are over 800 dimensions missing (plenty of temp files to get them back) from one of the biggest drawings on the server

I don't think anyone's done it intentionally but too many people have access to the DWG files here, such as designers, and as said in previous threads on other parts of this site.....

if your not a CAD monkey - then keep yer mits of my DWG!

A way to find out who's been opening & saving drawings?

There are over 800 dimensions missing (plenty of temp files to get them back) from one of the biggest drawings on the server

I don't think anyone's done it intentionally but too many people have access to the DWG files here, such as designers, and as said in previous threads on other parts of this site.....

if your not a CAD monkey - then keep yer mits of my DWG!

got to the drawing properties in the file menu. look at the tabs in teh dialog box such as general, summary, statistics, custom you can probably find it there

I doubt you'll find much there that is useful unless it is company policy to fill some of the information in. I bet 99% of CAD users don't even know about it or use it.

I think you need a system that requires people (i.e. - designers) to check out / check in the drawings to be better able to keep tabs on what happens to them.

How can you tell how many dimensions are missing???

Sorry, can't help with your question... Just curious??

My office is small, so I would just ask who has been in my drawing...Then the fight begins!!

After restoring an old save file & selecting all the dimensions I moved them into the 'new' drawing - tells you how many objects you have selected.

After restoring an old save file & selecting all the dimensions I moved them into the 'new' drawing - tells you how many objects you have selected.

Thanks... I probably wouldn't have thought of that. How do you know that nothing else was deleted??

In explorer right click the file and click properties, under the statistics tab it should tell you who saved the drawing last.

That's strange. I do just that but only see three tabs: General, Security and Summary.:? Where is this Statistics tab you mention? I'd be most interested in finding it. Thanks.

ReMark : Yuppers, everything comes from them - but, there's one for each utility & also the project managers go through them if the CAD users are too busy (me being the only one in this part of the company, grrr) There are PDF files & this and that of the drawings & latest revisions, but allot of the small amendments aren't recorded. As long as the As Built records are there I'm not worried about missing mains/services or for that matter any changes the designers have made - if they notice they are missing a change, then I can point a finger at them & shout :

'IT WAS YOU!'........

Feargt: Sadly, I edited the drawing before noticing they had gone & saved it thinking they were on a frozen layer....

Ah well, thanks for the help!

am using a german version of windows XP, the number of tabs that I see varies depending on the file extension. For a dwg file I have 5 tabs in the properties, for an excel file I have 4 tabs.