Using Router Line/3D Pline for piping layouts

waydawn

I have AutoCAD MEP 2010. I have used Cad Duct and FabPro 3rd party programs, both which use Design Line and Router Line. I was told there was some way of drawing a router line in MEP alone, which is basically a 3d pline, once done AutoCAD will be able to apply 3d piping to that pline, is that true? Any suggestions on this?:)

I have AutoCAD MEP 2010. I have used Cad Duct and FabPro 3rd party programs, both which use Design Line and Router Line. I was told there was some way of drawing a router line in MEP alone, which is basically a 3d pline, once done AutoCAD will be able to apply 3d piping to that pline, is that true? Any suggestions on this?:)

I know this is a function of CAD-Duct.

In AutoCAD MEP, select the line, and type PIPECONVERT at the command line to convert the line to pipe. You can also use right-click > Convert To as well among other things. Not as great as CAD-Duct but works.

Thanks, I wasn't so sure if it draws continuously like Cad Duct or FabPro do. I did try what you said, and basically it only works on single lines. Cad Duct does well, but does have bugs after doing so much designing on one dwg, and it tends to not want to use the command I request. MEP's Electrical conduit does well. I have made MV parts successfully, as to also churn out an CHM file for how I created them.

So what I do see when I am putting out sewer lines, and the properties box is were you can set the sloop, and specs. What I dont like is the way it places LS 90's on down runs. So I do see not all CI Ftgs are in catalog tells me we have to also create our own database feed. Am I making sense?

FabPro 2010 should be out soon, with a larger database to include Process Piping. Some great filters in FabPro Pipe.

I am not liking the way MEP pipe is established, I click on a pipe pallet, and it takes a little time for it to want to function, we have new pc's which meet needs, am I doing it wrong here?

Cad Ducts database is seemly slow loading, until you click on escape to move on. Anyway, thanks for taking the time!:D Wayne

Thanks, I wasn't so sure if it draws continuously like Cad Duct or FabPro do. I did try what you said, and basically it only works on single lines. Cad Duct does well, but does have bugs after doing so much designing on one dwg, and it tends to not want to use the command I request. MEP's Electrical conduit does well. I have made MV parts successfully, as to also churn out an CHM file for how I created them.

So what I do see when I am putting out sewer lines, and the properties box is were you can set the sloop, and specs. What I dont like is the way it places LS 90's on down runs. So I do see not all CI Ftgs are in catalog tells me we have to also create our own database feed. Am I making sense?

FabPro 2010 should be out soon, with a larger database to include Process Piping. Some great filters in FabPro Pipe.

I am not liking the way MEP pipe is established, I click on a pipe pallet, and it takes a little time for it to want to function, we have new pc's which meet needs, am I doing it wrong here?

Cad Ducts database is seemly slow loading, until you click on escape to move on. Anyway, thanks for taking the time!:D Wayne

If you're on subscription then you can get the new Pipe & Fitting catalog online at the Subscription Center. And are you needing to convert single line to pipe? Can't you just draw as pipe from the start, or are you converting old drawings?

If you're new to AutoCAD MEP, it'll take awhile for the learning curve to set in. Everyone has something to gripe about when it comes to AutoCAD MEP, so you're not alone. Every program has its benefits and its weakness.

StykFacE:

I'm eityher doing something wrong, when I start useing MEP to draw 3D pipe, it works fine. After browsing forumns for awhile then coming back to MEP to draw more pipe, all of a sudden it doesn't draw 3D anymore, just 2D lines, what's up with this?

StykFacE:

I'm eityher doing something wrong, when I start useing MEP to draw 3D pipe, it works fine. After browsing forumns for awhile then coming back to MEP to draw more pipe, all of a sudden it doesn't draw 3D anymore, just 2D lines, what's up with this?

Different pipes will display differently sometimes. I don't work in the Piping workspace that often so I'm not hugely familiar with problems. Try changing your Display Configuration next to the "Cut Plane" tool at the bottom right of your screen, above the Command Line (if you haven't changed it).

Thanks, I found out the "Piping System Definitions" is where u can select the spec which you are using, then select "Single Line Graphics" to check or uncheck if you want lines or 3D objects shown.

I did see another way as to do more with the setting of object propeties by selecting item and right click to select "Edit Pipe Style", select bold text which is "Model" then a dialogue box with layer/color/linetype pops up, and you can turn off several properties....ie insulation, center line, etc.:)