difference between off and frozen layers

chelsea1307

As I understand it, a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away if a layer was turned off and a Regen was issued AutoCAD would take into account all the objects on the layer that was turned off. It the layer were frozen it wouldn't. It sped things up a bit. I could be mistaken as it has been a while. I don't think I have ever turned a layer off. I have always froze the layer instead. Couldn't objects on layers that were turned off be erased? Can't recall. Brain has gone to mush. Sorry.

I just had an instance of a couple of objects werent displayed but were plotting, turns out the layer they were on was set to off. I changed it to frozen and they stoped plotting. I read the help and to me it said that both off and frozen prevent the objects from being plotted, was just trying to figure out if i was missing something or if autocad was having one of its moments

The only difference between the two is when you freeze a layer it is no longer kept in memory (RAM) but it is when the layer is turn off. This was done back when PC's were not as powerful as they are now in order to conserve memory use.