ALIGN command issue

sagaro

so i was trying to align soemthing to another, and ran into a little issue.

i have some triangular panels that need to be aligned to a dome.

I drew a line angled downwards at an angle of 5.82 degrees. i then copy and rotated that line, so that there are 5 lines stemming from one point, that are all angled downwards at 5.82 degrees, and separated by 72 degrees each.

so we will call that the "hub and spoke".

so i have a triangle all drawn up, that needs one corner aligned to the center of the hub,and each of the other two corners aligned to the corresponding spokes stemming from the hub center.

when i use the align command, the third point i specified, does not seem aligned. am i doing something wrong?

Hard to say with that description :)

Align was I believe designed to work just in 2d, you are working in 3d, that may be the problem.

Since you have the hub & spokes already drawn, why do you need to align triangles to it. You could draw a 3dpoly by snapping to line endpoints. Or draw a 3dface.

Carl is only half right. Yes, ALIGN does work in 2D but it also works in 3D too. From the AutoCAD Help file:

ALIGN

Aligns objects with other objects in 2D and 3D.

Maybe your viewing angle is slightly askew. Did you change the angle and zoom in for a closeup look?

Have you checked the dimensions of the triangle and the "spokes & hub" to make sure everything is correct dimensionally and the angles as well?

i have mapped the end of the spoke, to the hub surface, so that i know, that the dimensions are really there to be mapped on.. i am not sure how the viewing angle is going to affect the output, but i do try to go all over , and tilt my view, but it still doesnt help.

its just the fact that its tapered which is affecting this bad

If you are still experiencing problems then post the drawing so we can play with it. I did not say the viewing angle affects the output. It affects only what you "see" on the screen. Maybe you need to change your angle of view. Maybe it is a visual anomoly.

I've run into problems aligning in 3D as well. I was able to solve these problems by aligning two points, and then rotating along the axis created by the two points to match the third. Not the ideal solution, but a solution. Hope that helps!

sbacharya: You're using the Align command to scale a drawing and AutoCAD is crashing or is it locking up?

How big (file size) is the drawing?