Something wierd going on with Daylight head assembly

KeithXP

Suddenly today I find that when I create a daylight system, although the compass rose appears normal, the head assembly is so huge that only a few lines appear crossing the screen. I cannot zoom out to view it.

This happens even if I do a Reset, start a new file and Create>Daylight System.

I cannot find any setting to control this, or to scale the head down after creation.

Any ideas? thanks

Found the solution to this, in case anyone else has the problem:

Customize>Preferences>Viewports>

Non-Scaling Object Size:

Turns out this controls the size of cameras, daylight head assembly etc.

It had a setting of 100 on my system (no idea how it got changed). Setting it to 1mm sorted the problem.

:lol: I was just in there poking around, and I saw that option, but I didn't think it had anything to do with the sizing of cameras, daylight head, etc. That's good information, thanks for posting the solution. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

hello, can I ask sth about the daylight system too? I'm a beginner and I watch tutorials in order to make a rendering. So, I followed the exact same steps with a tutorial about a mental ray daylight system and I noticed that when he renders he can see the sun, but I can't. I don't know if this is a very general question. I just hope it's just a parameter that I haven't noticed.

Thanks in advance

You need to set the sun parameters inside your mr Physical Sky shader.

In order to do this, Follow these steps:

1. Open your "Materials Editor"

2. Go to your "Rendering" pull down menu and select "Environment"

3. In the "Environment and Effects" editor, under "Common Parameters", click and drag the "Map #36 (mr Physical Sky)" over and drop it into an empty material slot in the "Materials Editor". When prompted, make sure you choose Instance. This is very important.

4. In the "Materials Editor", under "mr Physical Sky Parameters", you can adjust the "Sun Disk Appearance" by changing the 3 variables available. Try these settings: Disk Intensity = 2.0, Glow Intensity = 5.0, Scale = 4.0.

You may have to play with the sun position also, to get it low enough so that you can see it in your render.

Untitled-1.jpg

Hey Cad64 thanks for the tips :) but unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I don't know something' s wrong. Which render preset should I use? Does this matter? I followed every step that you said. I' ve also checked 3d max help which has pretty much the same procedure. Any ideas? :oops:

Are you sure it's not working?

Do you have your sun set low enough so that you can see it?

Are you sure the sun isn't behind your camera?

If you followed my instructions you should see it in your render.

Are you sure it's not working?

Do you have your sun set low enough so that you can see it?

Are you sure the sun isn't behind your camera?

If you followed my instructions you should see it in your render.

this is what I see

3dmax1.jpg

and this is what I get

3dmax2.jpg

what do you think? :huh:

I can tell by the position of the head assembly and the color of your sky that the sun is not low enough for you to be able to see it. Can you post a screenshot of your daylight system settings?

I can tell by the position of the head assembly and the color of your sky that the sun is not low enough for you to be able to see it. Can you post a screenshot of your daylight system settings?

3dmax3.jpg

Thanks a lot for your time...

I'm not sure what the problem is? :unsure:

I set up a simple scene, matched your daylight system settings, (changed "Hour" to 16), and hit render. The result is below.

I think maybe you don't have your camera pointed in the right direction?

Edit: Actually, I know you don't have your camera pointed toward the sun because I just took another look at your render and I see the shadows are going away from the camera, which means the sun is behind your camera.

If you can upload your Max file I will take a look at it.

test.jpg

Actually, I know you don't have your camera pointed toward the sun because I just took another look at your render and I see the shadows are going away from the camera, which means the sun is behind your camera.

You're right I didn't have the camera pointed towards the sun. I just thought that the sun is visible as long as I could see the icon in my viewport.. Thank you very much for your advice and your patience... :oops: