Adding template to layout.

jeremyjjbrown

I would like to keep my drawings, templates, and layouts separate. I've been told it is good practice.

I made a template with borders and areas for the info that I need. I want to add it to the layouts that I create for each drawing. I tried right clicking the layout tab and clicking "from template" and then selecting the template file I made. But, it doesn't show up in the new layout. What am I missing?

Thanks for your time!

Check to see if there isn't another Layout tab added next to your current one.

Yes there is. I was talking but that layout, the new one.

Thanks.

It's not very clear what your trying to accomplish. Please be more specific.

Ok, armed with my 5 days of autocad experience I'll try to explain what I want to do and maybe you can let me know how to make it work.

I have drawings of parts and assemblies. I can turn on and off layers and create viewports to see them the way I want. I can create different layouts to plot from but the borders around them are blank and have no spaces to place my text info. I made a my own layout and saved it as a .dwt because the default layouts in the wizard are to complicated, distracting and hog to much space for my needs.

I have been trying to make a new layout with the template I made by selecting the layout tab > layout from template then selecting my .dwt.

But when I do the template doesn't show up anywere in the layout. I've paned all over looking for it in case it is in a wierd place but it's not there.

How do I get my template to show up in the layout?

Thanks

This sounds more like your wanting to insert a border and title block. You will need to insert one as a block or as an xref. A drawing template file contains standard settings that you want to see every time you start a new drawing which can contain a border and title block.

When you do the template as you have described then it will just add another layout with the dwt file you choose.

Solved ; )

Excellent. I was posting my previous reply while your eureka moment happened. Glad to hear you got it solved. Have a good weekend.