region head

JimB

I've trimed, turned it to a polyline (joined), tried to boundry, no matter what I do can't region this ... nor turn to a solid.

I want to region this then extrude to 12mm, pretty simple done this many times but can't work out why this won't permit me to region and suggestions be greatly appreciated. drawings attached. (I've saved the file 2004 but working in 2010)

help01.dwg

I did not bother looking for the self-intersecting curve.

I exploded what you had and one by one (using my Osnaps) moved the individual parts off to the side a bit and reattached them. When I had a half dozen line segments or arcs I joined them using Pedit. Took the next half dozen line segements and did the same thing. Continued until I finished. Then joined all sections together using Pedit one more time. Tested the Extrude command on the resultant geometry. Since I knew it would extrude I issued an Undo and then turned it into a Region.

I'm sure that with another cup of coffee you would have hit upon a similar course of action.

ReMark

That was very good of you to respond and provide the explaination and the solution.

Pitty I couldn't provide the drink of your choice so I'll suggest 'beatification' first stage before becoming a 'saint'.

Tops and thanks again.

ReMark

Pitty I couldn't provide the drink of your choice so I'll suggest 'beatification' first stage before becoming a 'saint'.

There is not "DrinkPal"?!?!

I want to region this then extrude to 12mm,

I would want to figure out where you messed up - but - presspull doesn't care. Simply presspull.

In fact, presspull doesn't require a "region" or even a closed polyline. All it needs is an enclosed area, it could be made up of lines, arcs, circles, polylines and splines all together.

I would want to figure out where you messed up...

JDM: I'm wondering why press/pull would be more forgiving. Would you be able to comment? Thanks.

I believe I may have found the "bad" line. See attached (I've put a revcloud around it). First though I confirmed that the Region command would not work which it didn't.

Next, I exploded the object and erased that one line. I joined the remaining lines using Pedit. I replaced the offending line with a new polyline and joined it to the remaining geometry. It then allowed Region to be used.

help01_error.dwg