Z-axis

rah32d

I'm attempting to convert floor plans into a 3dimensional model. Unfortunately I am unable to draw in the z-axis, except using coordinates which is incredibly annoying, and have no idea how to get the program to do this.

I have previously worked with drawings that I could do this on, a detailer had produced a three dimensional wireframe which I could draw in any axis.

AutoCAD does not allow you to draw in a plane other than the x-y plane with the exception of x,y,z, coordinate entry. In order to do what I think you are describing you will need to reorient the UCS.

You might want to consider creating a solid model rather than wireframe. The learning curve is painful but the rewards are many.

Ah, it seems there is a problem when I try to draw in a different orthogonal plane while attaching those new lines to previously drawn objects, as in it switches it back to that previous plane. When my drawing is unattached to previously drawn objects from other planes, it draws fine.

Two boxes. They are the same size. The one on the left was drawn using the line command. The UCS was reoriented to draw the vertical lines at the corner. The one on the right was drawn normally and extruded vertically. They are shown in typical 2D wireframe view.

WireframeBox.jpg

Well the idea was to draw the floor plan, then draw the walls and studs and what not so I could have a 3d model that I could hide/show objects on to reveal the framework of the house. I wasn't planning on doing rendering on it, just using the freeze to turn things on and off.

This way I could put together a few models of how the house would look if I did this or that to it, and in doing so I would have a good idea of what I would need to do framework wise to accomplish the proposed additions.

Unfortunately I'm not a detailer, but an engineer, so I'm not really well versed in Cad. I never covered 3d in any of my Cad courses so I'm at a bit of a loss, and none of the tutorials I've looked at seem like what I want to do.

The same two boxes as shown above however we have elected to show them in 3D Hidden view.

WireframeBox_3DHidden.jpg

Which box would you rather show to your client or boss when he asks to see that nice 3D drawing you just did?

The second set up you illustrated would be perfect what what I was attempting. Do you happen to know of any turorials on how to set up a drawing like that?

Yes, the second one where you can switch from wire frame to hidden is what I've seen from the detailers before.

Then you do NOT want to independently draw all lines (both horizontal and vertical) as that would defeat your purpose and make for a poor excuse for a 3D drawing. That's just drawing stick figures.

You'll find tutorials right here at CADTutor. You might also want to click on the Links heading at the top of the page for references to other resources. Finally, if you type the word Tutorials in the Search box above and read through some of the posts you'll find references to other AutoCAD-related websites that offer both 2D and 3D tutorials.

One advantage to drawing in true 3D is you can change the view to whatever you want (top, bottom, front, side and the four standard isometric views and anything inbetween if you wish. The standard views are preset.

You can also do an Internet search on the following:

"AutoCAD"+"tutorials"

I have to go now. It has been a long day. But first thing tomorrow (Weds) morning I will check this thread. If you have any questions...post them here.