+ Reply to Thread
    Using
    not specified

Default CTB file location

Hey, I know I'm not the only one with different clients that need dwg's to their standards so.......
    Is there a way to browse (from the plot dialog box) to a pen style that is not in the default Program files\ACAD\plot styles. What I am trying to aviod is alot .ctb files cluttering the cad folder and would like to keep and use the ctb from the project's folder. Im concerned with versions 04 and below
    Thanks!!
    From the "List of Weird Things That Only Happen to Greg"

Using
    not specified

You could try changing the Printer Support File Path for the plot styles based on clients or prjects, maybe even wirte a little app that will change this based on clients ... like a project setup feature.
    Regards,
    Eddie
    (Acad,ADT,AutoPLant Structural/Prosteel)
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. "

Discipline
    Mechanical
    DANIEL's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Industrial
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

C:\Documents and Settings\"YOUR LOGIN" \Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2004\R16.0\enu\Plot Styles

i can't remember which directory it his but one of them is going to require that you change the properties to show all hidden files and folders.
    If you would like to help my 2 year old niece Alaina in her battle against Leukemia you can donate blood at any Carter Blood Care and put SPON050875 on the donor form. Thank you so much for any contributions in this matter that you can make.

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

Using
    not specified

Are you just plotting drawings for the clients.
    If so you should use page setup manager which you assign .ctb files to

Using
    not specified

Dang, don't know how to multiple qoute (or spell )
    Spadd... I like the idea of the Printer Suport Option, have to look into it. Yeah I could write a little app, (that was if I knew what I was doing ) Not tring to be smart, just funny, Im not up to the writing lsp, vba's stage YET
    Daniel,
    @ work we had that path, guess 02 does not (if I were with 04 would I copy the ctb' into C:\docs...\login\.....?
    Jack,
    Yes they are for different clients, but unless I missed something, with the page setup I believe the ctb file would have to be in the default Program files\cad\plot styles, which is something I want to avoid.
    Ideally what I'm after is a ctb under that project folder, or maybe a Greg's CTB\Jobs for Jack....Greg's CTB\Jobs for Spageddie. Then years later when Daniel doesn't pay for their jobs, I just delete Jobs for Daniel.
    Sorry Tex just had to pick on ya!! Maybe I shouldn't raze ya, you might be living in a "dry" county
    I maybe just carrying this too far, it would't hurt to have all ctb's under CAD, just a thought
    From the "List of Weird Things That Only Happen to Greg"

Discipline
    Mechanical
    DANIEL's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Industrial
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeCader
    Dang, don't know how to multiple qoute (or spell )
    Spadd... I like the idea of the Printer Suport Option, have to look into it. Yeah I could write a little app, (that was if I knew what I was doing ) Not tring to be smart, just funny, Im not up to the writing lsp, vba's stage YET
    Daniel,
    @ work we had that path, guess 02 does not (if I were with 04 would I copy the ctb' into C:\docs...\login\.....?
    Jack,
    Yes they are for different clients, but unless I missed something, with the page setup I believe the ctb file would have to be in the default Program files\cad\plot styles, which is something I want to avoid.
    Ideally what I'm after is a ctb under that project folder, or maybe a Greg's CTB\Jobs for Jack....Greg's CTB\Jobs for Spageddie. Then years later when Daniel doesn't pay for their jobs, I just delete Jobs for Daniel.
    Sorry Tex just had to pick on ya!! Maybe I shouldn't raze ya, you might be living in a "dry" county
    I maybe just carrying this too far, it would't hurt to have all ctb's under CAD, just a thought
    i do live in a dry county *shakes fist at WannaBeCader like an old man* ...stinkin mansfield school district.....

anyway, you can change your printer support file path under your options, unfortunately it will only handle one at a time, but since its not that difficult to change you could set up multiple directories containing the ctb's you spoke of and just change your printer support path depending on what project you were working on, that way when you get drunk and lose Daniels check and delete his stuff it can be easily replaced when the sober Daniel reissues it like a good ol country boy would

ps.

yes in 2004 you would copy it into that directory, in 2002 it should be something like the old support paths
    If you would like to help my 2 year old niece Alaina in her battle against Leukemia you can donate blood at any Carter Blood Care and put SPON050875 on the donor form. Thank you so much for any contributions in this matter that you can make.

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

Using
    not specified

I still think page setup manager is the way to go

You have a client called greg. So you have a ctb file for greg. Then in page setup manager you set up a (A1) Page for greg and assign it the greg.ctb file. Then you can do the same for tom, john, peter and so on. You use the layout facility in CAD to do this. You save this as a drawing anywhere you like. Then when you plot you can import the client setting you need. Ctb files can be saved anywhere on the system. If you use a network it is best to save these on the network and the same for the page setup drawing. You can change the support location for the ctb files by going to OPTIONS in CAD. Then PRINTER SUPPORT FILE PATH. Then PLOT STYLE TABLE SEARCH PATH.

Once you have imported page setup manager once it defaults back to this location.

Hope this helps

Using
    not specified

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

This works in 2000i so I'm sure it works in newer versions...

If you place a shortcut to the common plot styles directory in your c:\...\Plot Styles folder then acad will search the other directory. I've found it easier to keep track of client CTB's for multiple projects as you can give logical names to the shortcuts and simply move them when no longer needed.