How to draw 3D solid wheel rim

Rob Preston

Hi

I am trying to produce a solid 3d image of a model locomoptive wheel to be used as a pattern (for casting by investment casting) the image will be used to make a rapid prototype by SLA.

The prblem is that I have made an outline of the rim contore using a solid polyline and have tryed to extrude using a circel as a base line and it simple wont follow it any sugestion are very welcome.:geek:

Regards

Rob

crosti wheel draing outline.dwg

Is that why you used half a circle because extrude would not work?

Did you try using the Sweep command with a full circle? I think that would work.

I took a look at your drawing and it looks like you have the whole wheel (unless I'm missing something). You do seem to have gone about it a little oddly, but that's not something to be ashamed of - I'm always impressed by how some people get to what they wanted :)

That said, it's in two halves. Just use the UNION command, select both of them, and you'll be left with one 3D solid that is your wheel.

Edit: Like DECHAL said, I think REVOLVE would be the command you'd really be looking for on this one for the future.

Sorry about the SWEEP command suggestion.

I had a go at your rim. I redrew the profile you used then relocated it to the (clock terminology here) 3 o'clock position on the circle. Rotated it then used the extrude command. I got it to work. Don't ask me why it did or how 'cause I don't know. Here is the proof:

Extruded_wheel_profile.jpg

I deleted one section, exploded the other and erased all the wheel geometry except the profile (region). then I drew a line in the Z from the center up, and used that as the revolve center points for the revolve command. worked a treat!