Subscription Updates ... Is is just me?

Teeds

I couldn't figure out where to place this and frankly what to name the thread.

Mods ... feel free to relocate, combine, or rename ...

OK ... to the point ...

I received a note from Autodesk on Tuesday informing me that I will no longer be receiving a DVD with the latest version of AutoCAD, that instead ... insert fireworks here ... they have this new "green" method of code delivery called download ONLY that is being implemented.

Am I the only one that does not like this?

I pay a bunch of money to maintain subscriptions on my two copies of AutoCAD and I don't for the life of me buy the concept that it is making my life any easier to have to download the code and install it, rather than pop a DVD into the machine and load it.

I know that it will not be a big deal to some, but darn it, subscriptions cost a lot of money ... especially in this stupid economy ... and to have Autodesk blow smoke up my shorts while telling me how "green" this new policy is ... is BS in my book. It isn't like they are giving me any discount for this "saving".

This is about one step short of Autodesk just maintaining one copy of code and all of us having to load it from the web every time we need it like Google apps ...

My machines are stand alone and I am not hooked to the web 24/7/365 ...

The more I think about this ... the more it mad it makes me.

I have not installed the last three updates because 2007 works, 2008 was funky on my machine, my daughter hated 2009 when she tried to use it mostly because our machines are not "brand new" and 2010 ... well it is on the shelf and neither of us has installed it.

I cannot afford to chase the rabbit around the track like some stupid greyhound and I guess this Important Notification: Software Delivery Policy Change is just a simple reminder that to Autodesk, and many others actually, see us as nothing more than greyhounds.

My feeling is that if you have not installed the 2008, 2009 or 2010 versions you should be asking whether you actually need to be on subscription.

You are not alone in your sentiments. I too was not pleased at the prospect of downloading MBs/GBs of programming code so I dashed off an email to the Subscription Center just to let them know.

This is the reply I received:

Thank you for contacting Autodesk.

We understand the need to be able to have access to your computer without leaving it downloading the product. If you wish, you can change your delivery method of your fulfillment from download to getting a box. To do this please follow these steps:

1. Log onto your subscription page.

2. On the upper right hand side of the page click the my profile hyperlink.

3. In your profile set up page there will be a section that says delivery method, please select box.

4. Update profile and the changes will be made.

My feeling is that if you have not installed the 2008, 2009 or 2010 versions you should be asking whether you actually need to be on subscription.

Excellent point ... to a point ...

The subscription cost is $450 per copy (2 copies) ...

IF I can manage wait more than say ... 5~7 years ... depending on cost ... between updates, why not just buy the new software?

Let me assure you that that question has crossed my mind.

Well, that is a good point, but a year or so ago, you got a free copy of Impressions for having a subscription which made sense to me. I like the program and it helps soften the product a bit for presentations and such. There was some value to the subscription that went beyond just getting the software ... brand loyality if you will ...

Heck, as best as I can tell all I get is ... nothing ... now. Not totally true as I can "try" the other programs that Autodesk has ... nevermind that I cannot afford to buy software that does not make me money ... I have plenty of that now with Adobe Photoshop and ESRI ArcGIS suites.

It would seem that Autodesk would want to grow user base in their other programs by discounting the price of Revit and such to users that maintain subscriptions ... but alas they don't ... well not for me anyway, but then I am small potatoes to them in that I only have two licenses.

You are not alone in your sentiments. I too was not pleased at the prospect of downloading MBs/GBs of programming code so I dashed off an email to the Subscription Center just to let them know.

This is the reply I received:

Thank you for contacting Autodesk.

We understand the need to be able to have access to your computer without leaving it downloading the product. If you wish, you can change your delivery method of your fulfillment from download to getting a box. To do this please follow these steps:

1. Log onto your subscription page.

2. On the upper right hand side of the page click the my profile hyperlink.

3. In your profile set up page there will be a section that says delivery method, please select box.

4. Update profile and the changes will be made.

Thanks ReMark for leading this charge and finding out the answer.

It appears I can add a task to my list of things to do today ... after a bit more coffee though ...

This is my "rant hour" on forums .. :wink:

I'm sure AutoDesk will announce they will offer a discount to anyone that downloads rather than requests a DVD any day now.:wink: They will won't they?:lol: