AutoCAD 2010 vs. AutoCAD Architecture 2010

Burner

I will be upgrading my AutoCAD software from 2008 LT to either AutoCAD 2010 or AutoCAD Architecture 2010. I was curious if anyone could share their experience with either software and help me with which product to pursue?

Experience: I have about 7+ years of self taught AutoCAD experience. Although I currently use a LT version, I am familiar 3D modeling. The bulk of my work is high-end stone-masonry shop drawings and piece tickets. I am drawing elevations, plan views, and details on a daily basis but also producing 3D models of individual stone pieces. Because my current LT version, it is often very time consuming to draw 100+ stones while producing layout drawings that I submit to architects and general contractors.

Objective: I am looking for a product that will help streamline 3D modeling and has an abundance of hatching types, coloring, and rendering methods. I am leaning towards Architecture 2010 but do not want to miss out on AutoCAD 2010 free-form design tools.

Thoughts...

... but do not want to miss out on AutoCAD 2010 free-form design tools.

Thoughts...

AutoCAD Architecture is built on top of AutoCAD - you will not lose any tools?

Burner, I suggest that you look at Autodesk Inventor.

Inventor is sold with a seat of Autocad (In the UK anyway)and only costs about £1k more than Autocad on it's own. Inventor creates DWG Files. Autocad creates good mesh models, Inventor creates fully parameteric 3D solids. Making a drawing of an Autocad 3D Object is a pain in the butt, With Inventor creating drawings is easy peasy. Inventor will also help you with quantity take offs and cutting tickets.

The two work pretty well together. I suggest that you ask your local Autodesk reseller to do a demo of Inventor. They should be able to leave you with a 30 Day trial version so you can have a play with it.

Oh, and there's allways Autocad LT Suite, which comes with Inventor LT.

Hint Mr. Mather? What program would you recommend? :wink:

I was going to link to another thread from someone who describes exactly the same type of work using another Autodesk product, but now I can't find the thread. (another forum)