copyclip and pasteclip issues

dsanzobrino

When using CTRL+C and CTRL+V for quick copy and pasting, the object is way off in outer space when I try to paste -like 200' from the origin.

It started doing this after used the UCS command and changed the origin to run a LISP called TABCORD.

Objects normally pastes where my cross hair aperture is.

I am aware that solutions are to copy with a base point, etc, etc, or to use the COPY command.

I am more curious as to why the pasteclip origin is so far out and if there is a way to reset it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this problem as well, except that I am copying within one drawing, not between two.

Steps to reproduce:

Open drawing in World Coordinate System ( ctl-c and ctl-p work fine )

Rotate ucs ( ucs > z > pick points )

Rotate Curser (snapang > 0)

Rename UCS (dducs > rename )

Rotate view to match ucs (Plan)

copy and paste broken ( ctl-c copies, but ctl-p pastes the object miles away from my curser)

Note that insbase and base are both set to 0,0,0. This is not the solution.

Also note that this problem is not repeatable on all drawings. I believe that the problem is related to the location of the lines. For example, here is the output of the "id" command for a point on a line which I am unable to copy and paste:

Specify point: X = -985694.2979 Y = -2955816.5975 Z = 0.0000

That point is a long way from the origin. Perhaps this causes problems?

upon changing the ucs, your copyclip may not be using the basepoint you think it is. Before running the copyclip, use the line command to draw a line from 0,0,0 to wherever you think your basepoint will be.

Then view from several angles using 3dorbit to see if that line is doing what you expected it to do.

Next draw a simple horizontal line, and Then use copyclip to paste the object to the end of that line. Now rotate the image and see if it is really using that point as the basepoint, or if the distance from Z is maintained.

If you change USC between copy and paste, be aware that your Z-layer plane is only the same at a single point (or ray) if it's different at all.

How you guys predict it without selecting the point is beyond me... it's using the relationship to Z=0, and that might not be where you think it is... when you change the UCS, you've just ensured that any error will be magnified because the Z is not the SAME 0, it was selected from a ZERO PLANE, not the zero point.

THe drawing elevation is usually Zero, but not always.. when you change the Z angle on the UCS, anything drawn on that plane is no longer at Z=0 when you change back.

@MikeScott

If you re-read my "steps to reproduce" you will see that I am not changing the UCS between copyclip and pasteclip. copyclip and pasteclip work as expected in World Coordinate system, but do not work as expected in User Coordinate System.

Additionally, my drawing is 2d, EVERYTHING is at z=0, and when I rotate the UCS, the z elevation does not change. Furthermore, the pasted objects are at the Z elevation.

Finally, it isn't difficult to figure out where the basepoint for copyclip is going to be. It's at the intersection between lowest part and the leftest part of the copied object. This might become more complicated if your objects had elevations, but for plain linework, it is trivial.

It appears based upon the responses on this forum, that this is yet another uncorrectable autocad bug. It's a shame, because UCS is a very handy feature.

That video was very informative. I hadn't realized your new UCS setting was merely rotated around the Z-Axis.

Very interesting bug.. I see what you're saying, and the mistake is apparent before you even place the object, isn't it?

The first circle you pasted was shown offset before you picked the insertion point for it. If you had slid your mouse around with the "ghost image" visible, would that apparent offset visibly increase and decrease before placement?

Or.. is that offset being determined by where your mouse crosshairs are sitting when you activate the paste command? If that's the case, it'd be a pain, but you COULD set your grid so you can have the mouse pointer over the 0,0,0 when you start the paste command.

ie- set your grid snap to a high number so that the cursor pops over to 0,0,0.. Then when you want to paste, turn on the grid snap, activate paste, and then toggle the grid snap off again to place your part.

It doesn't fix the bug, but might be a feasible workaround?