Complex Linetypes

Pearly King

Hello all.

This is my first post and I'm new to CAD so please bear with me.

I've been on a drawing board now for almost 20yrs. Tried CAD a few times but found it just took too much time to try and learn.

Most of the drwaings I do are scale plans for Road Traffic Accidents. As you can imagine many of the kerbs and hedges do not follow nice clean arcs etc but I'm working my way through that.

My question is this;

Can a complex linetype be created so that if I plot a centre of a hedge and offset to each side to create a hedge thickness, can those lines that represent the edge of the hedge be changed to a linetype which looks like a hedge? ie curly lines.

P.S. I'm using an old version of LT 2000 which I started to play with years ago when I first tried CAD

I initially tried to make a complex linetype, but then found the MEASURE command. I make a block of the correct hedge thickness, and send it along the hedge centre line, which I then erase.

However, I don't know whether 2000LT has the Measure command, and you may have to resort to a complex linetype. It may be easier to define a shape, then use that in the linetype.

hedge.jpg

This looks like exactly what I'm after but being new to CAD I haven't got a clue how you did it?

I don't seem to have a measure command only dimension or distance

I don't seem to have a measure command

That is what I was afraid of. I believe that it has been introduced to LT in later versions, so maybe you could up-date??

My mistake. I didn't try typing it in the command line, I was just looking for it in the menus. I do seem to have a measure command but I'm not sure how to use it.

As for updating, I will do if and when I find I can use AutoCAD instead of the trustly pen & board. So far it seems CAD has a lot of limitations you just don't get when drawing by hand

So far it seems CAD has a lot of limitations you just don't get when drawing by hand

AutoCAD LT is a limiting factor in that you cannot use Lisp routines, which make some tasks very easy.

Erasing and copying are much easier in CAD, and the lines don't smudge. :D

Excuse my complete ignorence but what are Lisp routines?

As for copying, erasing and the smudges, I couldn't agree more. The amount of new shirts that I've had on just one day and then that blasted ink stain...

Excuse my complete ignorence but what are Lisp routines?

It is part of the ability of AutoCAD to be customized. They are user-written programmes, but there are many already written that are very useful and available as downloads.

I probably have not explained it very well, but now you know the buzz word, have a delve into the web :D

• 3 weeks later...

Pull Down Menu --- Draw>Revision Cloud

This is how I make the bush or brushlines.

Using this command you cant draw it faster by hand. I am not sure it's in the version you have.

Cut that imbillical cord to your pen it's tough to do. I was sad when I had to many years ago

Good Luck