Loft Problem

woodworks

Try posting a reply to this like "OK"

That will give you 10 posts which I think is the minimum number before you can post an image.

Then try once more to attach a Jpeg in your 11th post. I think the rule is to thwart robot spam.

Please don't encourage new members to post meaningless messages just to bump up their post count. Anyone can attach images to their posts. Even a first timer. You don't need 10 posts to do that. http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8863

The 10 post rule only applies to the posting of web links. And yes, its purpose is to inhibit spamming. Since we implemented this rule, spam has decreased significantly. :thumbsup:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a1harps

• ReMark

• woodworks

• iskalipsi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a1: Here is the moulding that is used on each side of all windows and doorways. Again, drawn full size and saved in 2000 file format.

Window_Door moulding.dwg

The attached drawing may not be an exact replica of the profile. I had a little trouble with one aspect of it as the sample piece is very tough to measure accurately.

Now that I look around I think I may need one more. It is used at the top of all windows and doors and basically sits on a 1x6 as a piece of trimwork.

I need to find a sample.

a1: Here is the moulding that is used on each side of all windows and doorways. Again, drawn full size and saved in 2000 file format.

[ATTACH]17729[/ATTACH]

The attached drawing may not be an exact replica of the profile. I had a little trouble with one aspect of it as the sample piece is very tough to measure accurately.

Now that I look around I think I may need one more. It is used at the top of all windows and doors and basically sits on a 1x6 as a piece of trimwork.

I need to find a sample.

Ok ReMark, Looks good, I will save these two and wait a bit for the other molding. Sounds like you are talking about "Cap Molding". That would be at the top of doors and/or windows and mitered at the left and right corners to return back and terminate at the walls.

The molding around all doors and windows is your "Casing" and the the other on top of the base is a "Base Cap".

If you know your footage requirements and what species of wood let me know.

Between two cad draftsmen this molding profile documentation could work without the need to send solid samples through the mail if you follow my system.

The system I use:

#1 Obtain a sample of the molding that has been cut @ exactly 90 degrees to the long edges of the molding that you can have near your computer and printer.

#2 Measure and draw the molding based on exact dimensions of the wood sample's end section. I use an old plastic pencil drafting ellipse guide(old school drafting tool used to trace different size ellipses onto paper) to help determine the major and minor axises of any ellipse shapes and their degrees in the wood molding. A radius is usually no problem to measure.

#3 Once I have it drawn I check it by printing out a sample at actual size.I first copy the drawn molding and then scale it @1.19 scale factor.Then I reconfigure the plot scale settings in the plotter dialog to (2 plotted inches =2.375 drawing units) ...print and then measure the drawing with the same tape measure I used to measure the molding. If it is correct I lay the paper printed molding profile on a table and then place molding sample right on top and line it up. If any thing is wrong like a slightly off radius on a curve I readjust the drawing and print again until it is correct.

Let me know if you will add the third one or I can just go with these two.

Please don't encourage new members to post meaningless messages just to bump up their post count. Anyone can attach images to their posts. Even a first timer. You don't need 10 posts to do that. http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8863

The 10 post rule only applies to the posting of web links. And yes, its purpose is to inhibit spamming. Since we implemented this rule, spam has decreased significantly. :thumbsup:

Good to know... Thanks Cad 64

If need be sending someone an actual piece of each moulding would not be a problem.

Thanks for the lesson in terminology. Since this isn't something I do day-in and day-out it's nice to have the correct words/phrases at hand. You say toe-may-toe and I say toe-mah-toe. LOL

If I can get my old Calcomp DrawingBoard III to work with 2010 I could first trace the outline of the moulding on paper then digitize it into AutoCAD. That's a big IF though.

Wood species? I'm not exactly sure what they used in this house. The 2x4's are so dense I've broken drill bits yet I don't think they are oak. Almost all the floor boards are southern yellow pine. The six-panel doors, 1 3/8" thick, are heavy as heck and the mouldings are....not sure. Doug fir?

When I remodeled the bathroom I used oak to replace one sill. In most rooms I replaced the quarter-round moulding at the face of the baseboard with oak as well. Everything gets a custom stain mixture of walnut and red oak to match the existing woodwork.

As far as the wood species is concerned...the millshop may or may not be able to identify it for you depending on how large of a sample you can give them and how common the wood is. If you want to go with red oak or whatever ....the guy will want to know what what species to estimate the job.

A few guys from your region contacted me so I can send them what I have or else wait for number three.

I've had some good results by photographing end profile of moulding. Insert image. I then draw lines knowing the width and height, used the align command, scale to size and then traced the remaining curves onto the image. Probably not accurate enough but it's a good start point. You guys have probably forgotten more than I'll ever know but since you were on the subject just thought I would join in.