Convert Drawing to Monochrome Image

David_Feynman

Hello,

I am just starting to work with AutoCAD. What is the method for taking an architectural drawing (done by someone else) that is multi-colored, including with colors such as yellow that do not print well, and convert it for inserting into another program as a monochrome image? Please keep in mind I may not be describing what I want properly, but that's the best way I can describe it :).

Basically I want the type of image that you see on your average set of non-color blueprints. I'd prefer that the file still be either a dwg or dfx file. I have attached an example of what the result would typically look like.

Thank You,

David

Example.png

I'm unsure but are you sure this answers my question? I don't need to know how to print the drawing in monochrome, I want to know how to save it to dwg or dfx file format for inserting into another program, and look like the image I attached when I insert it.

David,

What happens if you select all the entities (Ctrl A), look at the entity properties and set the color to black? If you're very lucky all the entities are not defined BYLAYER or BYBLOCK and they will all change. But probably not. If the drawing is not too complex, there may be a solution with a lisp program. Could you post an example DWG file?

Thanks Calcad,

When I do that (Ctrl A) it says "varies" in the dialog box. However I believe you have helped guide me in direction that takes me far enough to do what I want. I see that I can call up the layer properties and easily change the colors en mass colors there. I am sure there are others ways to do it but that works for now! I am literally just starting with Autocad as you can no doubt tell :-) and so far am just learning how to use it by poking around until I take some online training.

Silly question. Any reason I see many architects using yellow in their drawings? Is that a standard for certain layers? It just seems like the hardest color to see, even on a computer screen, so I am surprised it gets used, yet I seem to see it often.

Thanks for your help.

I'm glad you're making progress. About the yellow, I'm not an architect and I don't know if there's any standard use for that color, but I'm guessing that the original drafter used a dark background where yellow becomes quite visible.

We use yellow all the time and its set to print black in the pen table. Like Calcad it sounds like your background colour is not set right if its white then lines will apear black if its black what we use then black lines appear white !

Go to Config Display Colors (middle left) s2 model space and on far right choose a colour you can have pink if you want. Also do again for Sheet / layout.

Important thing here is no matter what your screen colour is the plotted colour of a line etc is controlled by what you want it to be, bylayer bycolour etc.