Equivalent of Selection Tool?

David_Feynman

Very basic question :-). Is there the equivalent of what I would refer to as a selection tool in Autocad? To be more specific, here is what I want to do. When I click on the drawing the command that always seems to pop up is "specify opposite corner". However all I want to be able to do is click on an object so i can see it's attributes, specifically the layer it is assigned to.

If I double click on an object the border (I know I am calling that the wrong thing, it goes on and off if I free the layer named Defpoints) goes active and then as I select object every one says "varies" next to the layer window. Yet I know the objects I am clicking on our assigned to one layer.

Clearly I am doing something wrong :). I know that what I want exists because on occasion as I have been playing with a drawing exactly what I want occurs. I can click on or even hover over any object and it shows me the layer it is assigned to! So how do I activate that "mode"?!

Thank you and please tolerate the oh so basic questions :).

Very basic question :-). Is there the equivalent of what I would refer to as a selection tool in Autocad? To be more specific, here is what I want to do. When I click on the drawing the command that always seems to pop up is "specify opposite corner". However all I want to be able to do is click on an object so i can see it's attributes, specifically the layer it is assigned to.

If I double click on an object the border (I know I am calling that the wrong thing, it goes on and off if I free the layer named Defpoints) goes active and then as I select object every one says "varies" next to the layer window. Yet I know the objects I am clicking on our assigned to one layer.

Clearly I am doing something wrong :). I know that what I want exists because on occasion as I have been playing with a drawing exactly what I want occurs. I can click on or even hover over any object and it shows me the layer it is assigned to! So how do I activate that "mode"?!

Thank you and please tolerate the oh so basic questions :).

Pick the QP button at the bottom of the screen, now pick any object and the quick properties box will appear. You can also have the layer palette showing and when you pick on an object the layer will be shown. If you pick two objects on two different layers then you will get the varies message. If you have properties dialog open the same will apply, pick an object and layer will be shown, multiple layers will show varies.

Also, ROLLOVERTOOLTIPS set on, hoover over an object.