FATAL ERROR Question please

Kelly

FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x0000 Exception at bbec03h

Does anyone know what has caused this Fatal Error in AutoCAD 2010.x64?

I was in process of setting up the Options. After I closed the Options dialogue box I right clicked in the gray area of the tool bar to select other AutoCAD options is when it crashed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

btw I didn't get a chance to thank evveryone for help on my last post... so thanks everyone.

Kelly

What toolbar? Are we talking about Tools > Options and the dialog window?

By the way, are you running AC 2010 under XP Pro 64-bit?

Have you downloaded and installed Update 1 for 2010?

the options dialogue box i was in was File>Options. the toolbar was actuially the field in which the toolbars sit. I was right clicking to see more acad commands. the right click option box did not open and the fatal error occurred.

I am running windows 7 64 bit. we are in the process of the Intial standards set-up and installation of the os and cad.

Yes Update 1 has been downloaded and installed.

Do you have any customization recommendations?

File > Options > Toolbars??

Wait. I'm going for my GPS because I have no idea where you are.

Tools > Options > Files tab. That I know. But what you've written is new to me.

The field in which the toolbars sit? You mean the support path?

I need another cup of coffee.

I'll be back.

You could also try running Autocad in compatability mode. Also, make sure that the autocad icon is set to "Run as adiminstrator" because sometimes if you don't it can cause certain problems.

However, I've also seen problems in Autocad related to completely separate drivers and firmware. For example, some logitec mouse software/firmware can make it such that if its running in the taskbar, the firmware mouse settings will always override anything input into autocad.

For example, I had an issue a while back where I couldn't even use the wheel to zoom in/out because the logitec firmware was running in the taskbar.

Make sure that all unnecessary program are completely closed. (Things like quicktime launcher, logitec mouse and keyboard settings, etc.). Then use ctrl+alt+delete to ensure those programs still aren't running in the background. It will rule out a software/firmware compatability issue or conflict.

That's really all I can think of.

But here's a couple things I'll recommend sofar as Autocad "options" go..

under the "FILE" tab, if you already have templates set up in a specific folder like I do at work, you can specify the path they're located at on your computer or server. That way when you create a "New" drawing in Autocad it will immediately open the path you specify. Saves having to browse to the templates everytime you want a new drawing.

Depending on what you will be using Autocad for, you can also set up your search paths for textures within the "FILE" tab.

Just depending on your color preferences, you might try using black background for everything you do in 2D. Using white background all the time makes your eyes do funny things after 10-12 hrs of doing it. White is just completely annoying even if it's just for stuff in paperspace.. Plus it gives me headaches.

Also, you should consider your default file type. In 2010, the default is a "2010 Autocad Drawing (*.dwg)". But you have to think about other people you might collaborate with or other folks you work with and whether or not they're on earlier versions of Autocad. For example, a 2010 DWG file will not open with Autocad 2007. At my work we have 3 people with 3 different versions of Autocad so even though I'm, personally, on 2010 I use 2007 DWG files by default. Just prevents compatability conflicts and that way all the drawings on the server will open on all the computers with Autocad at my workplace.

You also might think about changing the 30 minute Autosave option if you are forgetful. I have Autocad 2010 crash on me at work 5-6 times a day, at least, and that's just doing 2D work.. I prefer a 10 minute Autosave to prevent the loss of any more data.

Depending on whether or not you use "recently opened files" to re-open stuff, you might want to change the value of "9" to a higher number.

Under Plot/Publish options you can set up your default output device for Autocad. If you want a plot stamp you can also set that up here.

I would also ensure your profile is set up and saved just in case someone changes your Autocad setup later on (It's happened to me a few times). You probably already know how to create a profile. If not, organise your taskbars, turn on/off whatever you want and don't want and then set up and organise Autocad how you prefer it and with the DIM settings and layout that you like best. Then go back to options, profiles, export, and put it on your computer somewhere for later use. You can then import it later on if you ever need it.

And then there's plot styles to consider if you haven't already. CTB is the easiest to set up and probably easier to standardize for all your drawings.

-ChriS

I would also ensure your profile is set up and saved just in case someone changes your Autocad setup later on (It's happened to me a few times). You probably already know how to create a profile. If not, organise your taskbars, turn on/off whatever you want and don't want and then set up and organise Autocad how you prefer it and with the DIM settings and layout that you like best. Then go back to options, profiles, export, and put it on your computer somewhere for later use. You can then import it later on if you ever need it.

Chris, I just did as you said about the profile. So, let me ask you. If my AutoCAD were to crash totally, and I had to reinstall (or, if I was to get a new computer or install AutoCAD on some other machine), are you saying that I could reload this profile file and regain all my customizations that simply? Hotkeys, shortcuts, aliases, toolbar customizations, etc.? If so, that's great to know. I'm learning about the acad.pgp and acad.mns files for example and would be able to piece some of my customizations back together if needed, but an all in one fix would be great.

Thanks to the forum, I'm learning more and more every day. I even just showed a few tricks to another guy here in the office who wants to learn AutoCAD.