AutoCAD MEP 2010 vs. Revit MEP 2010

erratic

So which one is better...? I know that they are two totally different beasts, but they do have a lot of the same functions and are based on very similar concepts.

As far as I've read - AutoCAD MEP has a better platform from the end users perspective and has a better base library out of the box, but of course Revit is all BIM and from my understanding, integrates the load calculations within - as AutoCAD MEP does not (unless I am missing something)

So essentially we have Revit & ACAD MEP 2010 here and are NOT using either. I am getting into the ACAD MEP a bit (since we are slow) and I like it. Now we do have a Revit REQUIRED job coming up, but no practical experience with the software - just tutorials (which don't help much)

Now as we move forward and get into ACAD MEP and the Revit job comes up... how confused is it going to be? hopefully not too much...

So I guess my specific question is should I focus on learning Revit now or continue to get familiar with ACAD MEP as it should be our staple product for project design and Revit only when necessary.... right???

Feedback is much appreciated as I am at a point where I need to focus where the most benefits will surface... all in all I know that learning both is the true end goal, but for now... I need some sort of advice from someone who has done it.

Thanks in advance...

:?

Oh I can correct this very easily for you. Here goes, as simple as I can make it:

So which one is better...?
Depends. AutoCAD MEP is for 3D mechanical design with added engineering tools to aid, but it still runs like AutoCAD so the learning curve is simple. Revit MEP is an engineering application and SUCKS for creating good field use construction documents. It's only worth it if you can pull data from a Revit Architectural file such as Space Volumes from Rooms, Wall/Glazing types, Ceiling types, etc etc that go into running your engineering calculations and loads. In other words, if you don't have a Revit Architectural file don't even TOUCH Revit. Ugh....

Revit is all BIM
They both are. They both utilize BIM fully, just Revit is more parametric and runs off a database which allows the information to be more accessible right out of the box.

Revit is all BIM and from my understanding, integrates the load calculations within - as AutoCAD MEP does not (unless I am missing something)
False. The only difference really is that Revit MEP can pull data from the architectural, and has a few extra bells and whistles like LEED and a few others. AutoCAD MEP completely integrates with 3rd party engineering software applications with gbXML export/import, as well as other tools to aid in engineering.

Now we do have a Revit REQUIRED job coming up
Are you sure? Does it actually say in the bid document/contract document that you HAVE to provide a Revit file? If so, design it in AutoCAD MEP, then export/import into Revit and save. That's all I do when people get all fussy when all they want is just a stupid 3D file. IT DOESN'T MATTER, 3D IS 3D!! But do they listen? No. 8)

Now, if the contract document states that you will be 100% coordinated via a Central Revit file on a server and you will need to provide engineering and scheduling data all with Revit, then yes you're stuck with it. Just find out before these general contractors try to "muscle" you into Revit.

So I guess my specific question is should I focus on learning Revit now or continue to get familiar with ACAD MEP as it should be our staple product for project design and Revit only when necessary.... right???
Learn both, but it sounds like AutoCAD MEP might be better for your company as it aids in the DESIGN process, and Revit aids in the ENGINEERING process. Once you become efficient in AutoCAD MEP you'll never wanna go back, although some things about this program will "literally" make you want to rip your hair out at times until you learn to compromise with it..... trust me on that. 8)

Hope this clears up a lot. Just remember, AutoCAD MEP is hella great for making AutoCAD 1,000,000 times more efficient. Revit is great ONLY when you receive a Revit Architectural file. If you don't, then don't even look at the icon. Toooooo much trouble for what its worth.

Okay I'm done. My $0.02 worth.

Thanks Styk.... I was kinda waiting for your feedback - as it seems you're the only one I can sift through that has pretty much the same job as I do... and of course I know we are using the same software.

And as for the Revit project... from what I know we are required to provide a Revit file... the Architect (I believe) is working on that now... and being that its an Air National Guard job... I am pretty sure I'll be using Revit too.

All in all I think that you can gather that I am tired of drawing the old fashioned way - even if I do have quite a bit of AutoLISP tools that have helped production around here already - utilizing the MEP tools, I know, are a much better approach to streamlining our design process.

Regardless - I aim to learn both... as I know that eventually old school AutoCAD drafting will be a thing of the past - and of course I'd like to still have a job 10 years from now... or whenever

Once again - thanks for the pennies 8)

p e a c e ! ! !

Thanks Styk.... I was kinda waiting for your feedback - as it seems you're the only one I can sift through that has pretty much the same job as I do... and of course I know we are using the same software.

And as for the Revit project... from what I know we are required to provide a Revit file... the Architect (I believe) is working on that now... and being that its an Air National Guard job... I am pretty sure I'll be using Revit too.

All in all I think that you can gather that I am tired of drawing the old fashioned way - even if I do have quite a bit of AutoLISP tools that have helped production around here already - utilizing the MEP tools, I know, are a much better approach to streamlining our design process.

Regardless - I aim to learn both... as I know that eventually old school AutoCAD drafting will be a thing of the past - and of course I'd like to still have a job 10 years from now... or whenever

Once again - thanks for the pennies 8)

p e a c e ! ! !

The one thing for you to do, is make sure that between your office and the Architectural office your using the same release of Revit. They are not backward compatable at all! Which is my big rub with it. I come from the Architectural side of things, and have experience with Autocads AEC functionalilty (ACA, MEP etc.) and Revit Functionality. I have the same exact complaints as styk.

fo sho. hit me up anytime on here with any other Q's and I'll help you as much as I can.

But yeah, I would suggest putting more effort into AutoCAD MEP for now. 8)

will do Styk! hit you up that is... I am certain at some point I'll have a question or two... and as for focusing on AutoCAD MEP for now - I am... just got the Mastering AutoCAD MEP 2010 book today... :D I am looking forward to getting more familiar with the software and its bells & whistles... no more inserting blocks for fittings for me!!!!

take it easy!

-e

The one thing for you to do, is make sure that between your office and the Architectural office your using the same release of Revit. They are not backward compatable at all! Which is my big rub with it. I come from the Architectural side of things, and have experience with Autocads AEC functionalilty (ACA, MEP etc.) and Revit Functionality. I have the same exact complaints as styk.

Thanks to you too Noahma - any tips are welcome - but I am aware of the non-backwards compatibility... what is up with that anyway????

Nonetheless... my biggest concern from the Architect side is that we typically get several floor plan revisions - even up to the time AFTER bid set drawings are submitted - so we are always updating our files based on this... How is that going to go down with Revit???? sounds tricky unless there is something I am unaware of that accounts for those late game revisions.

thoughts?

Are you sure? Does it actually say in the bid document/contract document that you HAVE to provide a Revit file? If so, design it in AutoCAD MEP, then export/import into Revit and save. That's all I do when people get all fussy when all they want is just a stupid 3D file.

So Styk... how exactly should I go about doing this properly... the only option I can figure is to export the CAD to DXF and bring that into Revit and save... no? I did that but the imported DXF is listed as a DXF object in the RVT file... is that correct? or am I simply on the wrong path???

your $0.02 or perhaps a nickels worth of feedback would be appreciated...

-e

• 1 month later...

False. The only difference really is that Revit MEP can pull data from the architectural, and has a few extra bells and whistles like LEED and a few others. AutoCAD MEP completely integrates with 3rd party engineering software applications with gbXML export/import, as well as other tools to aid in engineering.

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but I've been using AutoCAD MEP for a few years now. (Well, it was ABS a while ago)

Anyway, I FINALLY received an AutoCAD Architecture model for a project so I thought it'd be a great time to test the load calculations in MEP since it's so easy to generate spaces in this type of file.

So my question is on exporting to gbxml. Has anyone gotten it to work out for them? I've got my spaces and zones all configured with classifications and set points but I still get errors in my gbxml. e.g It can't find the 3D geometry for certain spaces.

And also which load calculation tool are you using? I tried pulling it into the HVAC load calculation extension that's available on subscription but it screws up which spaces are assigned to which zones.

Any help would be appreciated!

BTW, I've tried using Revit MEP and I absolutely HATE it! Use the two products back to back and it becomes obvious which one's better. Revit is just so cumbersome. I have to create an efficient duct system and Revit just wants to route everything its way. Straight taps and bull-head tees are the norm and god forbid you want to change those settings or run the duct manually.

And for a program that's touted as "3D from the ground up" Revit sure does a terrible job at connecting objects in 3D. In AutoCAD MEP I just pick two connectors and BOOM, solution found and connected. In Revit... Jeez. OK I've ranted long enough.

Revit is for engineering not "shop drawings". AutoCAD MEP works wonders.

Anyways, we use Trane's Trace 700. It has worked every time, but we never receive a full AutoCAD Architecture model. We still do most of our stuff manually but all we do is Export gbXML and Import into Trane and that's it. :)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Funny thing is that we're engineers and we don't do shop drawings, we do permit / bid drawings.

Do you just ignore errors in your gbxml or do you just not get any?

Never gotten any. We're an engineering and construction company, but we only engineer about 20-30% of our work. We do mostly 3D BIM models in which AutoCAD MEP provides excellent recreation of accurate mechanical duct and pipe. Much better and faster than anything Revit can even come close to.