ACAD 2009 Error "Unable to load profile file..." at start up

charliediver

Good Day.

I have Autocad 2009 installed in a PC and running under WINDOWS XP PROFFESIONAL SP3.

At start up, I'm receiving the message "Unable to load profile file. Some profile information saved in last session may not be restored. :wink:

As consequence, the palettes are not available. There is no way to have access to the materials palette.

I've tried the solution proposed by Autodesk (I found it out on this great phorum also): Downloaded last microsoft MSXML6.DLL However, when I try to register using REGISTERSVR I receive an error that the registry cannot be modified. Yes, I've searched the Microsoft information and looks like there is nothing to do. The system doesn´t allow to modify this entry because it is a system protected file.

I found another another posible solution, copying the whole disk but editing the ini file and removing the entry that ask to install (if not already installed) the file MSXML.DLL

I have also installed the versions MSXML3, MSXML 4, AND ACCORDINGLY WITH mISCRSOSOFT, THEY SHOULD NOT INTERFERE WITH THE VERSION 6.

I have installed and uninstalled AutoCad performing all possible combinations of the proposed solutions without success.

I have also installed in the same coputer Autocad 2006, and with this version I don't have problems.

Any sugestions on how to fix this problem will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance for your assitance on this issue

Did you try the CUIload command?

System files are normally hidden by default for a good reason. People, like me, for instance might erase one and then their computer won't boot up. That makes for a really bad day at the office.

You can make system files accessible if you really want to do that.

Thanks for your reply ReMark.

I have followed your sugestion and the CUI are being loaded, but that is not the problem. The tools palettes are not being loaded. Í'll try to be more specific:

When I run Autocad, te very first message I receive before any other screen in the monitor is: ""Unable to load profile file. Some profile information saved in last session may not be restored"

After that Autocad finish initializing and I can work with it without problems. However, the tools palettes that shoul be on the right side of the screen doesn´t show.

It's supossed that one can show or hide the tools palettes clicking CTRL + 3 or using the menu TOOLS -> PALETTES ->TOOL PALETTES. In any of both methods, I receive an error message. "Unable to load tool catalogs. A required module is not registered properly"

Autodesk has a "solution" for this issue in the following link:

//usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=9450291&linkID=9240617

(I omitted the http: at the begining of the line because the forum doesn´t allow me to insert links yet)

Thsi is basically the procedure:

1. Exit the affected Autodesk product.
  2. Insert the AutoCAD-based product disk into the appropriate drive.
  3. Close the installer, if it appears.
  4. Browse to and run one of the following files:
    • For 32-bit operating systems:
      \support\msxml\msxml6.msi
    • For 64-bit operating systems:
      \support\msxml\msxml6_x64.msi

Note: If you are unsure whether you are running a 32- or 64-bit operating system, stop this procedure and contact your system administrator before proceeding.

[*]Complete the installation by accepting all of the default settings.

[*]Click Start menu (Windows) > Run.

[*]In the Run dialog box, enter REGSVR32 MSXML6.DLL

[*]Click OK.

[*]Restart AutoCAD.

On the step number 9, when I run the command REGSVR32 MSXML6.DLL I receive an error message as follows: "DllRegisterServer in file_name.dll failed.

Return code was: 0x80070005 "

So, I took a look in the Micrsofoft Support and found this:

//support.microsoft.com/kb/827659/en-us

(I omitted the http: at the begining because the forum did not allowed me to insert links.

"You can register a DLL by using an account that does not have administrative credentials as long as the DLL does not write to the registry or change files in the System32 folder."

"To resolve this behavior, log on by using an administrator account, and then register the DLL."

BAsically, this procedure states that is necesary to run REGSVR32 from an administrator account. However, I am the only user of this computer and I have all the Permissions and grants enabled. In other words, I am the "superadministrator" of this PC, and the command doesn´t work: I received the error message any way.

So, as you can see, I'm fried with this issue. I need to have access to the materials libary and I can´t access it.

Does you or anybody else knows a way to open the materials library outside the palettes tools? Or even better ¿ Somebody has solved this problem ?

I'll look forward for your comments. Any suggestion will be very welcome.

Thanks again for getting over my issue.

Yes, I have reviewed it. Actually is the article mentioned in my previous post. I have installed the newest version of the MSMXL parser as well as the version that come in the installation disk of autocad. The result is the same. I've found out some forums questions with the same problem, and they suggest a fix working over the windows registry. for example: //discussion.autodesk.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=6224260 (once again I omitted the http: at the begining of the line, look like I havbe to post some more to be allowed to post links). I'm working in a standalone installation without users (only me), and the paths mentioned in the article are a bit different between Windows XP and Vista. I will try to follow the sugested modification over Wndows XP. However, I guess that Autocad should do all this work during the installation therefor I think that this problem is caused by a bug in Autocad.

Any other suggestion will be very welcome.

If you edit the Registry make a backup of it and be careful with your edits. Double-check then triple check any changes you make. Be sure you know what the boot up sequence your computer follows and make sure you have the ability to boot from a CD or a flash drive for troubleshooting purposes.

Did AutoCAD ever work correctly on your system?

Did you create a RESTORE point prior to loading AutoCAD?

I´m not sure if Autocad worked fine in the past. I used it until know to draw 2 d and isometric projects. It ws until know that I got involved in a project needing to draw in 3-D and I'm needing to render it in realistic finish. I never used the tolls palettes. When I wanted to apply materials, I realised thet they arenot available and there is no way to load them. The library is simpmy unavailable.

In regards with the registry manipulation, I ppreciatte your caution sugestions. I agree with you and in fact, I always do a back up of the registry before changing something.

I've opened the tools and materials files (extension .atc) and looks like they are written in XML. For an unknow (yet) reason, they can´t be read properly by Autocad. I've verified the path to the palettes in the configuration options of Autocad and they match with the entries in the registry. Unfortunately I can´t apply the registry modifictions suggested in one of the posts I've reviewed because the structure of the directories in Windows Vista is a bit different than the structure in Windows XP. I know how to manipulate the entries following instructions but I don´t have enough knowledge to detrmine what must be changed. I hope that somebody with the same problem had solved the issue.

i'M USING XP pro with SP3.

I've discarded this option because I have some more programs installed and would be hard and time consuming to re-install them.

I will install Autocad in a laptop to complete this job. However, I would like to find out the reason of the Autocad missfunctioning.

Kind Regards.

You never bothered to answer the questions about a Restore point and the Windows Repair option.

I did it. I said that that was not an option. I installed AUTOCAD by June 2009 and since that, I've made a lot of updates in other programs, including Windows. If I restore the system or make a repair, I could lose all the updates made. And as I mentioned, I don't know if the tool palettes showed ever, because I didn't try to them until now and for that I don't have a reference point to wander when the problem happened.

Thanks for the suggestion. I really appreciate that you are the only one interested on this issue.

I really appreciate that you are the only one interested on this issue.

Not true. This thread has been viewed 136 times. Just because no one is replying doesn't mean they are not interested. It just means that no one has any idea why this is happening. I wish I could help you, but I just don't know what is causing this.

Have you tried calling or emailing Autodesk support? I just read on another forum where someone was able to solve the problem only by contacting support and having them walk through a procedure of uninstalling, deleting files from various folders and then re-installing. Part of the procedure was to uninstall ALL Autodesk products. Attached is the pdf of the procedure that was included with his post.

AutoCad2006Fix.pdf

I'm still trying to figure out why the OP isn't being recognized as having full admisistrator rights. He should have been able to solve the problem practically on his first try. Something isn't right but I can't put my finger on it.

My involvement now is primarily to keep the thread active in hopes that someone, like Cad64, will have a new/different approach.

Not true. This thread has been viewed 136 times. Just because no one is replying doesn't mean they are not interested. It just means that no one has any idea why this is happening. I wish I could help you, but I just don't know what is causing this.

Dear Cad64.

You are right. I apologize for the redaction of that paragraph. :oops:

I was trying to say that nobody else had responded. And as you correctly say, if there are not more suggestions don't means that nobody else is interested. I'm a believer on this kind of forums; normally they are much better source of knowledge to solve issues and to get information than the official software support sites.

I've asked to Autdesk and they forwarded me to article that I mentiones at the beginning of this thread.

I'll remove all the Autodesk products installed on my PC following the instructions that you kindly have sent to me. I´ll post the result.

Thanks again and keep in touch

I think that you didn't install the library with the original install of acad.

This happend to me also. I corrected it by, removing and reinstalling Acad 09. Then I backed up my profile to my zip drive. This way I can take my profile with me anywhere I go.

ReMark was on the correct path.

Just make sure the "install library" box is selected before starting the installation. (Acad 09 version not sure about the others.)