Inserting Blocks using Copy / Paste; Issues with Block Units

bilodeaucarl

Hello, I wonder if one of you might have dealt with a similar situation. If so, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Our work method is to create a Master File containing all of the components for each of the equipment we use, in block form. Each block is defined with their appropriate block insertion unit - for some parts it is inches, others millimeters.

We then copy / paste (copy with a bse point) the selected components that we need into our working drawings. The template for these drawings are set with 'INSUNITS' variable set to "1" (inches). When the drawings are copied (with a base point) and pasted into the working drawing, a funny thing happen. The blocks are automatically scaled to the drawing environment (so far so good, as expected), BUT they are then scaled back to their original size. AutoCAD assigns a 'Scale X/Y/Z' to the block equal to the inverse of its block unit factor [in the case of the block with millimeters units when copy/pasted into a drawing with INSUNITS"=1, the block 'unit factor' is set to 1/25.4, but the scale X/Y/Z is set to 25.4].

We then have to manually set the scale X/Y/Z back to 1.

Is their any variable which can be set so that this situation does not occur?

• 1 year later...

AutoCad 2009 used >

bilodeaucarl -looks like you haven't had any response, is this the case? I have exactly the same problem / issue, but when cut and pasting objects (circles, lines etc), in the same drawing.

The interesting point is that the scale factor the paste function creates is the same as your 25.4!

I've still not managed to work out why it does it as it doesn't always occur - so I assume it must be settings attributed to a specific drawing.

This all started happening at the back end of last year as previous to that I had never encountered such and issue.

Another problem that started happening at the same time is when I insert layout templates (company specific ones) the scale factor of these goes hay-wire, as in it scales down - I now need to check if it scales down by 25.4!

No one else in the company encounters such issues so I’ve never really worried about it as I’ve always found other ways around it.

Please let me know if you have heard anything or worked it out yourself. I’ll have a little look myself now and keep you posted.

• 1 month later...

I have a block problem. I have created 5 dwgs in another program, inserted the first 2 and then upon attempting the thrid, the block came in as the same as the second one that I inserted. I've recreated the dwg in the intial program but it didn't help. I've tried the remain two blocks and they also come as identical matches to the second dwg. I've tried everything...someone has got to know what I'm doing wrong.

I should also mention that i tried opening the dwg seperately and they are exactly what i made them to be.

so i copied and pasted them into another dwg file and they are the same as the second block that i inserted intially.