setting printable area

ica_cici

Is there anyone know a tutorial about setting printable area?.

I am using a new printer now (Xerox Phaser 3125N), and set the printable area same as the old printer (canon IP800). The problem is my drawing doesn't come out all when I plot, even I use same margin as the old printer.

Is there a way to fix the printable area so I can use it with different printer?

Thanks for help!

That's what Plot Offset is for down in the lower left-hand corner.

Each printer has a different "hard clip" area that's why you can't use your old settings. Experiment. Trial and error.

The only way to completely avoid the dilemma would be to print using the Window option, with Fit to Paper and Center the Plot enabled. However, don't count on the drawing to be "to scale".

Every printer has different margins so you can not use 1 printers setup and buy a new 1 and expect it to work 1st go.

just look in the user manual or online help etc for the printer and you will find the actual printers physical printing limitations a BJ300 prints an A2 sheet as in list actaully undersizes it !

Generally allow 1mm inside printable area as sometimes setting it exactly a border edge doesn't print.

You can as per remark draw a box print at a scale that does not fit the sheet and then get your ruler out and measure the two lines printed these are the physical capability of the printer.

This has been asked before here on the forum.

Yes, I always plot drawing in paper layout using plot scale 1:1, window for the plot area, and center the plot for plot offset.

I even set printable area to 0.00 for the left & right margins.

The plot preview is fine, I have my drawing full appears but when plot it part of drawing at the left and right doesn't come out.

Does it means that those are the maximum printable area and the minimum "hard clip" area of the plotter?

And for the Plot Offset, Is it based on ucs origin or just the plot area? (X & Y value). Should I set the ucs origin to 0.0?

From the custom Paper Size-Printable Area there's a note says

(most drivers calculate printable area from a specific measurement away from the edge of paper. Some drivers measure printable area from the actual edge of paper. Verify that your plotter is capable of plotting from the actual dimension you specify.)

Where I should look for to verify that my plotter is capable for it?

Thanks for help!

printer.jpg

Are you plotting to scale or not?

If you aren't then it shouldn't make a difference.

If you are then turn OFF the Center the plot option and enter a plot offset for both X and Y.

And why are you even going into custom paper size? Are you really using a custom sized sheet? If so, what size exactly?

No, I am not. I always use scale 1:1 when plotting.

I use A4 paper, but my template is bigger than the printable area that's why I use custom paper to change the printable area.

Should I change my template?

PRINT1.JPG

Should I change my template?

Definitely, if you want to continue plotting at a true 1:1 scale.

As ReMark has already pointed out:

Each printer has a different "hard clip" area.............

so changing the margins of the printable area still wont guarantee you get the full border, as it may still be outside the physical capabilities of your printer.

Actually it's a standard template that I always use and never have problem with the old printer Remark.

But, OK I'll change my template adjust to the printable area if there's no other way.

Thank you for the advice Remark & bonehead411.:)

I think your still missing the point that people are saying here your template is bigger than the printable area !

210-202 is 8mm I am pretty sure our HP printer has a hard clip of 5mm each side thats 10mm so either 1 side would print or if centered neither edge line would print.

Measure carefully what is printing this is the hard plot limit.