applying materials

bjenk8100

Hello,

I am using acad10. I drew a somewhat complicated structure and am trying to apply materials to them. The object was made by non-polylines. In order to apply a material i think you have to make it a polyline. I went to pedit>multiple>y>hten selected objects. THen I go to apply material and choose the material and apply material to object. I click on the object I made out of polylines but nothing. Any help woujld be great. I am new to materials adn rendering.

You just used regular polylines to create the object and that's it?

Non-polylines then you turned them into polylines. OK. Then did you extrude them?

Materials can be applied to solids and surfaces. If you drew a box using the rectangle command or polylines and did nothing more than that and then you tried to apply a material to it, the process would fail.

By the way, materials can be applied to objects and they can be assigned / attached to layers as well.

Thanks

Hmm, wonder why it must have thickness. Sometimes I dont like to show any extrusion but just like to hatch. Can materials be hatched? I dont see the difference.

I think with hatch you are limited to colors. Materials have other attributes like texture and luminescence etc.

Unless you create a surface or a solid autocad sees it as a group of lines with no place to "paint material".

i am still having trouble with the pedit. I select objects (4 lines for a box) and hit enter. It tells me to pick from a list of options width, open, close, etc. I am trying to see what that is all about now. Anyway, afterwards, when i go to the objects tehy are individual and not grouped.

Ok, first let me say that if you are drawing something common like a square or a rectangle then you can save time by using the "rectangle' command because that will create a closed polyline that is ready to be extruded. Also there are the "primitives" ...box, pyramid, wedge etc that quickly create solid objects.

But, to use pedit on an existing group of lines.....make sure the lines intersect and do not over lap..use trim if necessary.

Enter "pedit'...choose one of the lines...click yes to turn it into a poly line if it isn't already a polyline. Then choose join and select the rest of the lines in that group. If you are then presented the option to open it means the group is closed and can be extruded.

Make sense?

I think you got off on the wrong track by assuming drawing in 3D meant using lines and/or polylines without the benefit of creating surfaces and / or solids.

You might benefit from looking at some of the tutorials here at CADTutor and by purchasing an aftermarket AutoCAD book specific to working in 3D such as 3D AutoCAD 2009 - One Step at a Time by Sykes.