LDD Desc. Keys import to Civil 3D Point Styles?

caddcop

I can import my descriptor keys into Civil 3D, but is there a way to get all of the point styles from there into the point styles?

I understand they'll need modification, but edits are quicker than creates.

LD 2008 > Civil 3D 2008

I can import my descriptor keys into Civil 3D, but is there a way to get all of the point styles from there into the point styles?

I understand they'll need modification, but edits are quicker than creates.

LD 2008 > Civil 3D 2008

Not that I'm aware of. Importing save a lot of typing, but you still have a lot of work ahead of you. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Caddcop, I am getting ready to start shifting my description keys and point groups from LDD 2008 to Civil 3d 2010.Can you give me a heads up?

Thanks, rlshound

Here's what I found - lots of work.

The way points work in LD vs Civil 3D is similar enough to give you hope and different enough to dash that hope.

Yes, you can import a LD descriptor key file, but the import leaves a ton of work ahead. But don't spend a lot of time on many points intil you figure out how you want your points to work. You are likely to start one way and end up with a different way - so the fewer points you test with, the fewer you will have to change more than once.

I spent a lot of time Google'ing to find as much up front info as possible - the best seemed to be from the AU handouts.

There are Point Styles, Point Label Styles and Layers. One of the best write-up was for CV-300-5 Making Points Act Like AutoCAD Land Desktop: Sit, Roll Over and Lay(er) Down!

The PFD is too big to attach, even when zipped.

I also have a flowchart posted on my wall, but I'm having difficulty figuring out where I saved it and what format it was in. If I do, I'll send it along.

Hello Caddcop, so beware of what lies beneath the surface...thanks for the heads up. I'll check out the publication and keep pounding, rlshound

Thanks again Caddcop....we have been straight out today and I look forward to going through the publication and flowchart.Thanks for taking the time,I will keep you posted as to the progress...it must be a good feeling! rlshound