Problem Autocad 2008 - 100% CPU when regenerating

mmiket

Hi all,

I have a major problem with the file I work on in Autocad 2008.

My file has many layouts and I wanted to set up viewport visibility for each layout separately, so that I could show different contents on different sheets. To do that I was setting up layer thaw/freeze in viewports on respective layouts (obvious so far...)

I started playing with freeze/thaw/visible etc, all in layer manager and that's where I hit a major problem!

Suddenly my computer got crazy with this file, it works EXTREMELY slowly, it regenerates drawing for couple of minutes now, switching layouts or sometimes even zooming in/out made it entirely impossible to work!

Every time I enter/exit viewport, change layout or open the block editor, CPU hits 100% and stays there for minutes! Status bar says it is 'Regenrating the model again - buffering viewport' as well as 'Generating 600 (sometimes 1200!) modified elements' - even though I merely switched layouts!

Computer was able to handle the file perfectly until a few minutes ago, it's as if he hit a wall or somehting! I can still work with it say in model space, drafing, hatching etc, as long as I do not change viewport...

I do not get it but it suddenly made my work almost impossible!!!

PLEASE HELP!! I am moderately experienced user but honestly - have no clue how to handle that behaviour!

PS. File is in 2D, does not have many xrefs etc, plain lines some text, hatches, a few references to jpgs, that's it!

How many layouts had you setup prior to the problem happening?

Could it be a corrupted drawing? Did you try running an Audit on this file?

Is AC 2008 up-to-date with the latest service pack?

What are the computer specs?

Hi ReMark

1) I had 8 layouts with 2-3 viewports each and it was working just fine, and then suddenly - when I started freezing/thawing visibility it all begun working so slow (but the exact point at which it all happened - I am not sure...)

The thing is that I made this drawing by compiling and "cleaning" of some 8 files (hence 8 layouts) that my stupid co-worker created (he does not use layouts AT ALL!!!!) so I am not entirely sure it happened when I started freezing/thawing or when I copied something from one of the other files.

I run _purge all the time, check block and graphic refs - there is nothing suspicious, nor the file size is surprisingly small or large...

2) Excuse my lack of knowledge - how to run audit on a acad file?

3) Cad is up-to-date and other files work fine (I am pretty sure something went wrong in this file - the question is: what to do now!)

4) As I said, computer specs seem to be irrelevant as all the other things work just fine, but ok:

Celeron M 1,6Ghz

Windows XP SP3

2 GB RAM

Integrated ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M series

(nothing fancy but used to work just fine for simple 2D cad...)

Look forward to hearing your ideas!

Thanks guys for help!

The results are of _audit are 3 errors - 3 fixed;

What does it mean? What's the nature of 'errors' this function can fix?

File seems to be a bit more responsive and stable now, time will tell if it's gonna stay like that..

(And: FILEDIA = 1;PICKFIRST= 1;PICKADD = 1 :) )

Thanks!

Glad to here the file seems more responsive. As to the cause of these "errors" I'm not sure but perhaps someone can enlighten us both.

Thanks for updating us too.