Dynamic block exploding

Derek Toering

A work colleague is trying to explode a (dynamic?) block of a door. Basically it is a block which can be clicked on and changed to whatever type of door you want it to be. We have worked out how to explode it, but this makes all of the blocks within the drawing revert back to one particular door type. So. How does he explode this block and be able to display the different door types where they were originally shown? ie we blow the block up and all the doors in building revert to a sliding door. We want some of the doors to be swing doors, and some to be other doors etc

why do you have to explode them?

I don't think I have ever experienced the behaviour you are getting but I'll look when I get to work. I thought you click on the block you want to explode and type EXPLODE and only that one block explodes.

That sounds like a really bad idea. Exploding Dynamic blocks is a big no-no, it can lead to corrupt files.

Could you explain Why your collegue wants to explode the block? perhaps someone could offer some advice on the base problem.

now I'm at work I can't replicate your behaviour. Are you sure you're not redefining the block rather than exploding it? And will repeat/echo what has been said above - why explode?

well we normally explode stuff that we receive from consultants because they come in a massive number of non sensical (to us) layers. We like to reduce the layers to our standard in house layers, which in most case cleans the drawing up significantly. In my colleagues case, (and mine) we have never come across this type of block before. I guess it could be a tool that we could use to our advantage, but at the moment we don't know how to incorporate it into our normal drawing practices.

pretty certain he tried that, but it could not or did not burst. couldn't explode it either until we went to bmake? and unticked the non explode option, which made all blocks in drawing identical.

pretty certain he tried that, but it could not or did not burst. couldn't explode it either until we went to bmake? and unticked the non explode option, which made all blocks in drawing identical.
yes, I think that would redefine the block.

try using BEDIT and do your layer manipulation there.

try using BEDIT and do your layer manipulation there.

I agree, Don't forget that this will up date all the blocks at once. You can then purge any unused layers

well thanks for the input. He got around the problem, but now I am going to start having a bit of a play with dynamic blocks, after hearing the feedback on this forum about them

It sounds like you have exploded the block and the "visibility" state has brought all the visibility layers into one layer.

It sounds like you have exploded the block and the "visibility" state has brought all the visibility layers into one layer.
I (sort of) disagree. Normally when you explode a block its current visibility is maintained but by using the BMAKE function rather than the BEDIT function he has redefined it and broken the visibility function.

Sounds like the dynamic block may have been named the same as the block. Usually when I make a dynamic block I use BMAKE and name it something like DYN BREAKER. Then when I am finished I WBLOCK the whole thing to another name or save the file to another name.

Just my two cents FWIW.:D

• 6 months later...

I realise this is late but I came across this thread whilst having the same problem. My solution was found in the help files for Autocad 2008 as below:

Use one of the following procedures to open a block definition in the Block Editor:

[*]In the Block Editor, make sure nothing is selected.

[*]In the Properties palette, under Block, click Allow Exploding.

[*]On the drop-down list, select Yes or No.

[*]On the Block Editor toolbar, click Save Block Definition.

[*](Optional) If you are finished using the Block Editor, click Close Block Editor.

You can then insert this new definition back into the drawing and redefine the existing definitions. BBURST and EXPLODE should then work. Maybe this will help in the future?

I accept that exploding Dynamic Blocks is a risky and unpredictive prodedure but I sometimes explode blocks that have a LOT of time and work in them so not to pass them onto clients who may just take the blocks and run! :geek: