Lines & Poly lines

peterg

A Polyline will form a continous line (i.e. one object) when you keep drawing segments. A Line will form separate objects with each segment.

Normal lines

If I draw a square (ortho on) absolute starting point, then enter dimensions for each side moving the cursor to form 4 sides, this would be seen as 4 seperate lines.

polyline

If I use the same procedure to draw the same square, this would be seen as 1 line.

??????????????

:cry:

Normal lines

If I draw a square (ortho on) absolute starting point, then enter dimensions for each side moving the cursor to form 4 sides, this would be seen as 4 seperate lines.

polyline

If I use the same procedure to draw the same square, this would be seen as 1 line.

??????????????

:cry:

Yep. Exactly. No need to cry over it :wink:

Polylines can also be assigned a width.

Polylines can includes arcs.

Polylines can have a curve fit to them or be splined.

Moving, rotating, copying, mirroring, etc. an object created with polylines (continuous) is usually easier than if the object is comprised of individual lines.

Non-continuous polylines, as well as lines, can be "joined" using the Join command or the Pedit command.

Normal lines

polyline

Heh heh, good question.

You will see the same rectangle - the "line" rectangle will be made of 4 lines.

The "polyline" rectangle will be made of 4 lines that are joined together and are selectable as one object. You can stretch both types. A polyline can be exploded into its individual segments which would then leave you with a 4 line rectangle.

Conversly a line can be turned into a polyline and joined with other (connected) lines.

Yes it would.

A rectangle drawn with the rectangle command is also a " closed polyline" and can be extruded into a solid object.

Working with the command "Pedit" (polyline edit) can help you better understand about lines and polylines and the difference between closed and open polylines and how to change a line into a polyline etc.

a1harps

Thank you.

In the past I have produced my drawings using "lines".

ReMark recently made me aware of the advantages of drawing with "polylines" and using "Pedit", a practice I will be adopting in my next drawing now that I have become

with it.