Section planes within viewports

pumasan

I have recently been drawing Autocad 3D for mechanical drawings and have run into a problem with section planes.

I have model space setup with my 3D drawing, and a paperspace setup with 4 viewports. The 3D drawing has 3 seperate section planes inserted at points i want to view the model at (to see the internals).

The problem I am having is that if I enable a live section plane in one viewport, my model is cut in the other viewports. Is there a way of Isolating the section plane cutting to a single viewport? (All views are in 3D)

Thank you

That Behavoir is one of the reasons I prefer Inventor over Autocad for 3D work.

Unless someone has a better idea your best option is to use 'SOLPROF'/'SOLVIEW' or 'FLATTEN' to create a block from the section view.

Thanks for the response, I was thinking to use that, but from what I understand once you 'SOLPROF'/'SOLVIEW' or 'FLATTEN' , it becomes static, that is, it doesn't change as the model changes,

I would use Inventor, though I work in the electrical field and mechanical drawings are really a small part of my work, and before me everything was drawn in 2D. I can not justify the expense of Inventor through i would prefer to use it as I have used at uni.

I've noticed you can make the section cuts, create a new block with all adding solids and just use the viewports view each block. When any modifications are done to the original block, just replace the existing section blocks.

This just all seems extra work that shouldn't be required and as more and more sections are required the worse it.

any more ideas would be appreciated :).

All good, figured it out,

1) Create the main model drawing and saved it

2) Create a template drawing with the standard paperspace + viewports

3) Using XREF call the model and live section it as needed, proceed as normal

4) repeat for each sectioning required

I really dont know why I didnt look into this earlier, this works beautifully. When I make a alteration to the model every other drawing is updated when opened.