"Unresolved" XREF quirk

pt_keegan

Hi all,

I have a nested xref that will come up as "unresolved" when I open a file. A simple reload will find the nested xref until I open the file again...where it becomes unresolved again.

Opening the xref shows that the troublesome nested xref in question is coming in just fine thought...strange!

All the xrefs are relative paths. Anyone have a clue? Thanks a billion.

**forgot to include the AutoCAD version 2010 and the file is 2007 format

-pk

Where did you get the XREF from? Could you do a saveas of the XREF or the nested one (or both I guess) and try to wipe out any reference in the parent drawing to any of the original XREFs and then re-associate the new ones you created? I'm just getting started with XREFs myself, but it seems they can be finicky if a file name gets changed or you change location of a file. Maybe something got messed up with that. Just a stab.

Is the xref in question in the same file or else where on a network/ your PC? Sometimes CAD can be stupid. it auto looks in the file the DWG is located in and ends right there some times. It could be as easy as going into the external reference manager and reassigning the path to said xref though. Anything outside that file folder and CAD gets very specific about xrefs.

The xref in question is located in a different folder, but on the same network drive. I've tried reassigning the path with no luck.

whats odd is that I have a very similar file (another floor of the same building) that is located in the same place; xref'd into the drawing via the same path, that shows up no problem! I don't get it.

The xref in question is located in a different folder, but on the same network drive. I've tried reassigning the path with no luck.

whats odd is that I have a very similar file (another floor of the same building) that is located in the same place; xref'd into the drawing via the same path, that shows up no problem! I don't get it.

by any chnace, if the xref in question is also attached as an xref to another plan which is alos xrefed here.., than you may encounter the problem you have becuase the problem file have 2 paths in the host file. in that case you need to make it overlay in another file.

Have you totally detached the xref from the parent drawing? I'd try that. Then check what you find if you do a purge in the parent drawing. Then, to be extra careful, do a saveas to rename the file you wish to xref into the parent drawing. Then xref this new one in again and see if you still get the problem.

Oh, and when you do the saveas, put it in the same directory. These steps may not resolve the issue, or they may just be a work-around, but it might give you some clues.

Well, I've given up. Thanks for all of your help - but still there is no resolution. Luckily for me this project is almost over - and with it goes these blasted Xrefs. Thanks all

• 5 months later...

I know this is a long quiet thread but I've just figured out how to resolve this problem on our system. I has to do with demand loading of Xref's. In the options dialogue box on the 'Open and Save' tab there's an option to the right named 'Demand load Xrefs' If you have it set to Enabled with copy you might see this problem. Setting it to Enabled cures the issue on our system. I'm not yet sure if this will create other issues with multiple users working on files simultaneuosly but so far it's ok.

Also to set the scene. On the drawings in question the problem xref's are nested and called in multiple instances. I'll try to describe as follows;

Main drawing contains shell of the building

first tier of xrefs - apartment type drawing (multiple files), each is uniquely named

second tier of xrefs - bathroom type drawings, nested into apartment type drawing, these are not unique

This means bathroom type 1a is nested in multiple apartment drawings xref'd by the main drawing. I hope that's clear.

have you tried on the options, and on the open and save tab tick the retain changes to xref layers.

I was just thinking of that your thread is similar to what we have before.

Just a guess i think.

• 11 months later...

If I resolve all layers while in the individual xref files and then detach all unloaded xrefs in the individual xref it fixes the problem in the master file so far...:D