Possible to draw 2 spline and make them as a whole?

resting

I just started on 3ds. Wanted to try out the lathe function so I need to trace 1/2 of the image with lines.

Can I do them like something in illustrator's path? Or at least like draw one objectA and join with one objectB making one objectC so I can lathe it?

Thanks.

Yes.

1. Draw both splines

2. Initiate "Select and Move" mode

3. Activate your Object Snaps and make sure "Endpoint" is selected

4. Grab Spline "B" by its Enpoint and drag it over and snap it to the Endpoint of Spline "A"

5. "Attach" Spline "B" to Spline "A"

6. Switch to "Vertex" selection mode

7. Window select the two vertices that you snapped together

8. Right click and select "Weld Vertices"

thanks! will try that out tomorrow.

say...is nurbs also called mesh poly in 3ds? i suppose nurbs are better for character animation? as in smoother surface? n...prolly easier to model?

Poly modeling and mesh modeling are different. I don't use meshes or "nurbs" so I can't really speak to that process. I poly model everything because I feel I have more control and more available options than with meshes, and I can easily smooth surfaces with modifiers anyway, so I've never felt the need to use other methods.

icic..ok didnt manage to try out the method above.

i drew the shape with line tool (ya the hard way).

now that I've this lathed object, i notice i can't control the number of segments it has, like a primitive object. is there such a function for 3d object created from 2d splines?

What do you mean by segments? You can control how many segments the lathe object has in the Modify panel, "Parameters" section.

If you don't like the way the shape of the lathe turned out, go the the Modify panel and click on "Line" in the Modifier Stack. This will allow you to see the original spline that you created and you will then be able to add more points on the spline, alter the shape, etc. Once you feel that you have the spline edited how you want it, go back to the Modifier Stack and click on "Lathe" to return to the object which has now been modified per your changes.