Penn and Foster Structural Project Help

robxfinch

Hi all, I am hoping somebody has experience with this and can provide some insight. I have completed the first plate successfully and now am attempting to draw the second which consists of an elevation (south). I am really confused with how the footing is supposed to be drawn. I cant completly understand the directions and have been trying to draw this for quite some time. I have attached a pdf for reference. I am having difficulties with the directions on page 11. Anybody have any suggestions or been through this before?

I swear this exact question has been posted here along with either an explanation and/or an image of the problem with the solution. Try a search on Penn Foster and see what that brings up.

Yea, I did a search before I posted this but it doesnt go into great detail nor provide illustrations, assuming we are talking about the same post.

Sorry about that. I was relying upon faulty memory chips. Must be time for an upgrade.

Where is this PDF you refer to? For some reason I don't see it.

Does it include the instructions as well?

I notice you had some posts regarding Penn/Foster drawings back on the 7th and 8th of Feb. This is a different problem you're working on isn't it? Wasn't BigMike able to help you?

Yes, the instructions are lacking a bit. I have helped Big Mike through the same problems. I do not know if the instructions have been changed since I took the course. Please attach a pdf of the instructions so that we can review them.

Sorry about that, I was sure it was attached...

Anyways, I am having trouble right at the beginning of plate 2, page 11 I think. I have no idea what I am supposed to be drawing in regard to the footing/pillar. The way its described confuses me to no end. If there is any way to provide some sort of illustration of what is supposed to be drawn it would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all your help.

STRUCTURAL DRAFTING.pdf

robxfinch

Just like with plate 1, the instructions are scattered. You have to select what the draw order will be. Use construction lines to represent the elevations and label them, you will be removing the construction lines later. Think of the problem in question form,"What info do I need to draw this part?".

Make sure you calculate the elevation footage correctly. The finish grade elevation is 292.90', make sure this is also drawn in the correct distance from 0', it will be checked when you submitt the drawing for grading. It also effects the drawing of the pillers correctly. You have to deduct the slab thickness. The bottom of the slab will be the top of the piller.

In this plate (2), you are looking at the south elevation. Review plate one for the positions of the pillers and footing. You should have drawn them as a top view in plate 1, with the south elevation you will be drawing them with a front view. This is the long side of the building.

Draw a center line at the piller locations. Looking at the top view of the piller it will be 16" each side. Divide 16/2 then offset the center line 8" to each side on the south elevation. Perform the instructions one sentance at a time. Keep track of what you are doing on your workflow/draw order sheet. The elevations determine the height of the footings and pillers. Remember that the pillers on the four corners of the building are different from the inside pillers.

As much as I would like to provide you with a sample of the drawing; I am not able to comply. That would be cheating, this is one of the exam grades toward your certificate.

Sometimes the instructions are confusing, that is to see if you are able to interpert the instructions correctly. It has been almost 2 years since I finished these drawings. Take your time and work carefully, do one thing at a time. Then check your work.

The important thing to remember is that with Acad there are many different ways to acheive the same results.

Just for your information, this same paragraph stumped 2 Cad designers that work for a friend of mine. I think I spent a few days figuring this one section out. The good part is that when you finely understand these instructions, you should be able to draw from instructions alone, if all the required information is included.

I will give it a shot in the morning. I am just having difficulty with what the actual footing is supposed to look like. Thanks for the help none the less.

I know it is sometimes hard to see the shape in your mind.

Once you have the elevation drawn in, the dimensions are given on the footing. One of the elevations is the top of the footing.

Subtract 4' from 292.90' this is the top of the footing.

The footing dimensions are found on page 8;

The dimensions of the concrete footings placed under all the steel columns are 16 x

32 x32. The steel columns are centered over these footings.

When you draw the footing, center on the column 4' below the finish grade. So this footing will be a rectaingle 16"h x 32"w.

That help?

• 1 year later...

Hi robxfinch,

I am in the same boat that you where in... I'm trying to complete plate 2 and I'm struggling. what did you do to make it easier to understand?

I wrote my thread before reading Car5858's breakdown clearly, I will give that a try. Thanks.

Kilik: What you are drawing is a concrete column that sits atop of block of concrete called a footing. The concrete column (and there are many of them) supports a concrete slab atop which stands a vertical steel column. The steel column has a baseplate welded to the bottom and this is anchored into the slab.

Refer to this lengthy thread for further information re: structural project. I believe what you are trying to draw is depicted in one of the images included in the thread.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?57443-Can-some-one-help-me-with-stuctural-drafting.Thank-the-lord-is-back&highlight=penn+foster

Edited by ReMark

Car5858

Did you take the Penn Fosters Drafting course? do you know if this course is recognized in the drafting world?

Thanks

Yes, Car5858 took the Penn-Foster CAD course.

There are a number of Penn-Foster projects discussed here at CADTutor. A simple search of the words "Penn Foster" will bring up all the threads that were started by people like yourself seeking help with their questions.

Kilik: What you are drawing is a concrete column that sits atop of block of concrete called a footing. The concrete column (and there are many of them) supports a concrete slab atop which stands a vertical steel column. The steel column has a baseplate welded to the bottom and this is anchored into the slab.

Refer to this lengthy thread for further information re: structural project. I believe what you are trying to draw is depicted in one of the images included in the thread.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?57443-Can-some-one-help-me-with-stuctural-drafting.Thank-the-lord-is-back&highlight=penn+foster

post #35 will show the items that you are looking for.

Car5858

Did you take the Penn Fosters Drafting course? do you know if this course is recognized in the drafting world?

Thanks

Yes I did and yes the course is acceptable for an entry level position. This course introduces you to different aspects of the drafting world. You will find that by concentrating on what you like will help you after you finish this course. Most of all is practice, if you don't you will forget and be left in the dust by others. Save all the drawings that you do and use them as part of your profile.

When you reach the day that you submit your last drawing, it is a great boost to your ego:D

• 4 weeks later...

Hello:I am working on Penn Foster's Structural Drafting Project - Plate 2. I have reread the project materials a number of times for a clue to the dimensions of the outside wall. I Need to know this so that I can place the center of the anchor bold 8" from the outside of the wall. (This is on page 12 of the project booklet - which says - The plates are bolted to the concrete slav with 2 anchor bolts that are 1-1/2" in diameter and 18" long. The bolts project out ot the concrete slab 3-1/2". The bottom 4" segment of the bolt is bent horizontal, pointing toward the center of the building. The center of the bolt is 8" from the outside wall. ) I understand what they want me to do, but I cannot seem to figure out where to place the center of the bolt.

Thanks to anyone who can direct me to that information.

Hello:The plates are bolted to the concrete slab with 2 anchor bolts that are 1-1/2" in diameter and 18" long.

The bolts project out of the concrete slab 3-1/2".

The bottom 4" segment of the bolt is bent horizontal, pointing toward the center of the building.

The center of the bolt is 8" from the outside wall.

Think about what elevation you are working on. The outside of the building will be on your left or right. The outside edge is the start of the exterior siding.

Measure from the outside edge of the beam toward the center of the building. The outside bolt will be located 8" from the inside edge of the column flange (not shown in this drawing). Do not add the 8" dim to your drawing, I put it in to show you where to measure from.

The confusion that your having is normal for this set of instructions, I see that it still has not been corrected. As this example shows:

Penn foster struct p1 detail.JPG

Edited by Car5858
Added info

I am not sure but is the outside wall the same wideth as the steel plate....i.e. 14"?????

No the outside edge will be at the outside edge of the colunm flange. Remember that in this elevation you are looking at the Flange of the column, not the web. So this requires that the bolts be drawn on the hidden layer.

• Like 1