Geforce vs Quadro

guitarguy1685

Hello,

I need your guys opinion on which type of Vcard to buy. The work I do on AutoCAD is probably 95% 2D work. Sometimes I will have to make a 3D model for intricate connections on frames. I don't do any serious modeling like adding materials and/or lighting at the moment. I might attempt some rendering for proposals but they won't be very big.

From what I've read the Geforce cards are typically more powerful but their drivers are geared toward gaming. The Quadro cards have drivers designed for heavy 3D programs like Maya and 3Dsmax. I'm only doing 3D on AutoCAD vanilla 2010, and even then not doing anything close to what I see on this forums 3D threads. Essentially I don't want my computer to slow to a crawl when I do some simple 3D.

Is it worth paying the $2000 for a Quadro vs $400 for a Geforce?

make sure you check the supported graphic cards on Autodesks homepage, either way you don't want to spend money on a card that AutoCAD don't support.

GeForce GTS cards are generally supported I believe. GeForce GTX cards usually aren't. I think that is because the GTX line of cards is primarily for gamers.