DWG TruView causes trouble - maybe

CALCAD

I'm not sure where is the best place to post this. I just uninstalled DWG TruView less than a week after installing the latest version. I began having unexplained crashes of other software. TruView itself didn't crash. The reported errors were not helpful in tracking the cause. But after running a registry checker, it reported hundreds of errors, most of which referred to 'ACAD' this and that. I don't have AutoCad on this machine, but I have used TruView in the past to recover damaged files, change versions, etc. to use with other Cad/Cam programs. Anyway, after removing TruView and cleaning the registry, all is well. So I suspect, but cannot prove, that the latest version of TruView caused trouble on my machine (an aging Dell Precision 380 with 2 GB ram.)

I see, well, the part that confuses me is that DWG TrueView never crashed but other programs did. Yet, you claim that when you removed DWG TrueView and cleaned the Registry (in that order, right?) everything works OK again.

Now that the Registry has been cleaned create a Restore Point and reload DWG TrueView. What happens with your other programs?

Probably a false alarm. I set a restore point. Ran a registry check - no errors. I downloaded DWG Trueview again. It installed (the default config) without incident or error. I restarted the machine. Ran a registry check - one error : invalid handler for extension - dwgtrueview standards checkfile. I did not fix this. Started Trueview and looked at a few drawings and did one recovery (actually a conversion - recover doesn't work - all explained in the Readme file - a minor PITA - my only complaint.) Closed Trueview. Ran all the major programs that I regularly use. Did get one crash, but it was of a familiar type with that software and I can't blame Trueview. Ran another registry check - one more error. It seemed to be related to the DirectX 9.0 that installs with Trueview. Not sure though. I let the checker fix those errors. I will monitor the system closely for a couple days. Thanks for the suggestion Remark. And thanks for your patience.

Trueview uses net framework. It doesn't do a very good job of registering all of its values during the install. A lot of registry cleaners report orphaned keys with no values and delete them when they actually aren't. So after a clean up Trueview no longer works. And sometimes other apps that use it as well. After an uninstall, sometimes other .net program can fail as well. They should fix themselves but it might take a reboot or 2.

So my advice for now is once you have trueview, you always have trueview! -David

Only in one instance did I have a Registry cleaner (by Norton no less) get a bit too agressive. The result was an error when trying to boot into AutoCAD. Fortunately there was a fix for it that solved the problem. That's when I stopped using anything other than RegClean on any OS up until I made the switch to Win7. Not sure what I'll do now.

Thanks for the update. Will keep fingers crossed that from here-on-out your computer doesn't crash any more.