Foundation plan, please advice!

facad

Hello;

I made a foundation plan for my house (assignment), I did a research about the foundation walls, I did not see anything about the section around the front door (S2).

Please note that I am taking a technical illustration class, that mean to say that I am just learning every single day!

how can I attach my drawing please?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• facad

• ReMark

• Noahma

• edwinprakoso

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not able to upload my file, it says:

Your file of 1.62 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 250.0 KB for this filetype.

I am not able to upload my file, it says:

Your file of 1.62 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 250.0 KB for this filetype.

Try to upload it somewhere else, like in Photobucket or Flickr. Then put the link to the image here.

An image speaks a thousand words. With an image we will be able to get a better understanding of what you are trying to do.

Post a PDF file or zoom into the area you have a question about and use the JPGOUT command. It may not be pretty but it should be functional (and much smaller in size).

Thanks,

this is my foundation plan and my floor plan in pdf format!

So, what exactly are you needing? The first post is a tad on the vague side. Are you trying to figure out how the door would be displayed in section with foundation walls?

So, what exactly are you needing? The first post is a tad on the vague side. Are you trying to figure out how the door would be displayed in section with foundation walls?

I need to do a section of the foundation plan around the front door (S2)!

I am looking for drawings as examples.

I'm having a bit of a problem understanding what you're after as well.

Your floorplan is a bit unusual too.

I don`t know why the floorplan is unusual, I did it with the help of my professor.

Well for one thing the configuration of the room in the upper left hand corner leaves a lot to be desired. Seems like a lot of angles to me. What is the room's intended purpose?

Why is there a door located on the side of the house in what I would consider to be the living room and not in the back of the house?

The closet you have located in the living room would be more useful if you had access to it in the front hall where you greet your guests.

A couple of the other rooms that I guess are bedrooms have no closets. Only one room (other than the kitchen) has a closet.

No bathroom? Is there at least an outhouse or a privy somewhere?

Well for one thing the configuration of the room in the upper left hand corner leaves a lot to be desired. Seems like a lot of angles to me. What is the room's intended purpose?

Why is there a door located on the side of the house in what I would consider to be the living room and not in the back of the house?

The closet you have located in the living room would be more useful if you had access to it in the front hall where you greet your guests.

A couple of the other rooms that I guess are bedrooms have no closets. Only one room (other than the kitchen) has a closet.

No bathroom? Is there at least an outhouse or a privy somewhere?

Thank you for your reply ReMark!

the floorplan should be rotated. the main door is S2 location, and the closet in the living room has access from the front hall.

the bathroom is just to the left of the front hall. the next room that has too much angles is a home office.

facing the home office; is a bedroom that has a big closet.

the next room is a master bedroom that doesn`t have a closet, it is true, I do not know how I will locate the closet so I was thinking to keep it that way; like certain rooms in other countries other than the USA (we will need a big armoire for that room!).

the door that I have in the living room, is an access to the garden and the swimming pool!

If you have any suggestions I will be glad to take them in consideration.

I am so lost in reading the architectural drafting and design (by Alan Jeffris), it`s a lot of information that I should know!

thanks again:)

Note: the floorplan is not complete, my assignment is not ready yet!

I thought that the foundation walls and footing are different for the outside walls, I was wrong!... than the section "S2" should be in the middle; and I just get the answer for it, this is the footing detail:

footing detail.pdf

I thought that the foundation walls and footing are different for the outside walls, I was wrong!... than the section "S2" should be in the middle; and I just get the answer for it, this is the footing detail:

Your using a foundation type I am not that familiar with. The area you are calling "footings" are actually called "Grade beams" In many instances they will be located under bearing walls. And would not be needed under most other areas. The slab in a stable soils area would be just a typical 4" slab-on-grade. Or if something more beefy is needed, it would pop up to a 6" thick structural slab which would include more steel reinf. within the conc. I would model the grade beams using mass elements, and attach the required structural data to that mass element. Just out of curiosity, does your professor have any experience with Residential design?

as for your floor plan so far. If this house were to be built and sold in the states minus a master closet, it would be sitting on the market for a very very long time. At this point within the Residential field, the clients are very picky as to what they want. Master Bedrooms should include a large walk-in closet, and a separate bath. In higher end homes a 5-piece bath is the norm. For the rooms keep in mind where the bed wall is. In the room just to he left of the front door (rotating the sheet so that the front door is facing the bottom of the page) Your bed wall is going to be very very tight when accounting for any further furniture. Anything under a 11'x11' size is going to be a negative in the buyers mind. As for the room to the far left bottom side of the house, the room is a very unusual shape. It will make furnishing this room to be a great challenge to any prospective buyer. My advice would be to pull the wall on the left side where that bump out is all the way to the edge of the building (far left) to straighten out the room some. For a closet depth, a typical starting depth would be 2'-0 1/2" from inside of stud, to inside of stud. For linen I would not go to much deeper than 1'-6" inside of stud to inside of stud. The door to the far right should swing to the inside of the home. In a commercial setting doors are required by code to swing to the exterior, but not in residential. Right at this point, although the floorplan is not horrible, it does lack some flow. What I do when starting a new home for a client is to put myself at the front door. I try to picture where I would be pulled as I enter the home. You never want the person to be pulled into private spaces when first entering the home, and you do not want to give them a sense of dead end (if that makes sense.) Your plan is pulling straight into a wall, and giving too much choice in terms of where to go. This can give the home an uncomfortable feeling. To remedy this, I would remove the walls just to the right of the entry, move that closet to the left side of the entry door, change the swing of the entry door so that the person will be drawn into the public living space to the right. I do not have a sense for the actual distances in this plan, so I will go ahead and give some general sizes for you to play with. A minimum size for hall should be about 3'-6", this keeps one from feeling to cramped when going down the hall. On the flip side, I would shy away from anything over 4' on a short hall. If the hall gets to wide, you loose the separation from public to private spaces. For the room center top of the house, I would flip the door swing so that it opens into the wall, instead of the room. For the odd shaped room, I would do the same. For trim sake in the finish, I would pull all of the doors and windows at least 5" out of the corner. This will ensure that trim can be added fully around each window / door. Feel free to get a little crazy with the window and window configurations. The larger room in the upper portion of the house can take a few more windows. Maybe two windows each 1' off the wall on each end of the room. As for bathrooms, does this house have any? :)

Ok, now that I have truly ripped apart your plan lol. I think it has tremendous potential. Keep asking questions, keep pushing yourself further. There are a few people on the forums that specialize in Residential design. I am sure more of them may stop in sooner or later :)

Your using a foundation type I am not that familiar with. The area you are calling "footings" are actually called "Grade beams" In many instances they will be located under bearing walls. And would not be needed under most other areas. The slab in a stable soils area would be just a typical 4" slab-on-grade. Or if something more beefy is needed, it would pop up to a 6" thick structural slab which would include more steel reinf. within the conc. I would model the grade beams using mass elements, and attach the required structural data to that mass element. Just out of curiosity, does your professor have any experience with Residential design?

as for your floor plan so far. If this house were to be built and sold in the states minus a master closet, it would be sitting on the market for a very very long time. At this point within the Residential field, the clients are very picky as to what they want. Master Bedrooms should include a large walk-in closet, and a separate bath. In higher end homes a 5-piece bath is the norm. For the rooms keep in mind where the bed wall is. In the room just to he left of the front door (rotating the sheet so that the front door is facing the bottom of the page) Your bed wall is going to be very very tight when accounting for any further furniture. Anything under a 11'x11' size is going to be a negative in the buyers mind. As for the room to the far left bottom side of the house, the room is a very unusual shape. It will make furnishing this room to be a great challenge to any prospective buyer. My advice would be to pull the wall on the left side where that bump out is all the way to the edge of the building (far left) to straighten out the room some. For a closet depth, a typical starting depth would be 2'-0 1/2" from inside of stud, to inside of stud. For linen I would not go to much deeper than 1'-6" inside of stud to inside of stud. The door to the far right should swing to the inside of the home. In a commercial setting doors are required by code to swing to the exterior, but not in residential. Right at this point, although the floorplan is not horrible, it does lack some flow. What I do when starting a new home for a client is to put myself at the front door. I try to picture where I would be pulled as I enter the home. You never want the person to be pulled into private spaces when first entering the home, and you do not want to give them a sense of dead end (if that makes sense.) Your plan is pulling straight into a wall, and giving too much choice in terms of where to go. This can give the home an uncomfortable feeling. To remedy this, I would remove the walls just to the right of the entry, move that closet to the left side of the entry door, change the swing of the entry door so that the person will be drawn into the public living space to the right. I do not have a sense for the actual distances in this plan, so I will go ahead and give some general sizes for you to play with. A minimum size for hall should be about 3'-6", this keeps one from feeling to cramped when going down the hall. On the flip side, I would shy away from anything over 4' on a short hall. If the hall gets to wide, you loose the separation from public to private spaces. For the room center top of the house, I would flip the door swing so that it opens into the wall, instead of the room. For the odd shaped room, I would do the same. For trim sake in the finish, I would pull all of the doors and windows at least 5" out of the corner. This will ensure that trim can be added fully around each window / door. Feel free to get a little crazy with the window and window configurations. The larger room in the upper portion of the house can take a few more windows. Maybe two windows each 1' off the wall on each end of the room. As for bathrooms, does this house have any? :)

Ok, now that I have truly ripped apart your plan lol. I think it has tremendous potential. Keep asking questions, keep pushing yourself further. There are a few people on the forums that specialize in Residential design. I am sure more of them may stop in sooner or later :)

Noahma!

I will print out your reply and share it with my collegues.

My professor helps us to do the outside walls, but the inside walls are our assignment, he did not correct this assignment yet.

I will go ahead and get busy, working on my floorplan; with your precious advice and I will post soon my final work!

Thanks again

I love this forum:P!

Noahma!

I will print out your reply and share it with my collegues.

My professor helps us to do the outside walls, but the inside walls are our assignment, he did not correct this assignment yet.

I will go ahead and get busy, working on my floorplan; with your precious advice and I will post soon my final work!

Thanks again

I love this forum:P!

Your Very welcome. I am glad my advice has helped you :)

Excellent critique Noahma. You should consider teaching as a career.

I had thought about that once years ago. But I am more happy sitting in front of a computer designing lol.

Hello,

I did take in consideration your remarks, and did modify my floorplan, please take a look at it; if possible!

I don`t have a master bedroom in this floorplan, because I do not have a space for the bathroom.

I did add closets to the rooms, I do not know if the position of the closets are ok!

In fact , I have a bathroom and it is the first room to the left:), is the location of the bathroom ok?

Please not that this not a final work, and your criticism are very welcome.

myhouse-Model.pdf

The bedroom next to the bathroom will have to be reconfigured. Notice that the door swings into the bedroom and makes contact with the bed before it is fully open. That's not good.

I think the bathroom needs more work too. One practically has to stand in the toilet to use the sink.

What is the purpose of the closet in a room dedicated to being a home office?

As for the kitchen you don't show a refrigerator for one thing and I see no counters/cabinets indicated and the sink is quite a ways from the wall. How does one gain access to the dishwasher with the sink where it is?

Why not shift the entrance to the living room adjacent to the bathroom to the right giving yourself more room to reconfigure the bathroom and the bedroom next to it?

Have you considered swapping the home office and the bedroom next to it? Who wants a bedroom that shares a wall with a kitchen anyways? Another option is to put both bedrooms on the same side of the house and put the home office next to the bathroom.

I'd get rid of the doorway on the left hand side of the house at the end of the hallway. Who needs three doors to enter/leave such a small house?

I really believe you have a lot more work to do.

Hello,

I did take in consideration your remarks, and did modify my floorplan, please take a look at it; if possible!

I don`t have a master bedroom in this floorplan, because I do not have a space for the bathroom.

I did add closets to the rooms, I do not know if the position of the closets are ok!

In fact , I have a bathroom and it is the first room to the left:), is the location of the bathroom ok?

Please not that this not a final work, and your criticism are very welcome.

It is starting to get there, some more work is going to be needed. The biggest issue I see now is with the space planning. There is too little space for the rooms required. The home office would not really need a closet. If one is present you would be forced to meet code for egress IE a fireman being able to enter a window with his full pack and gear. Without the closet, that requirement would not need to be met. The home office feels a little cramped, by removing the closet, you will have a much better and useable space. I agree with remark in swapping the position of the bedroom to the right of the office with the office. This will further separate the public from private space, giving a better sense of privacy. The bathroom has enough space, it just needs to be utilized a bit different. Take the tub, and rotate it 90* so that all of the plumbing will be on the same wall (your plumbers will thank you) For a min. size from tub to vanity you will need 2'-7" with 3'-0" preferable, then the vanity with a min. size of 30" The bath need not be more than 5' deep, which will fit a standard size tub. So you can easily pull some space out of the bath and give it to the bedroom to the left. The only other odd ball out with that area is the bumpout that includes the closet, and part of the tub. It is causing some of the issues with space. if you were to slip that all to the left, where the left wall of the bump out would meet the far left wall of the house, you would be given a couple more feet depth in that bedroom, and then with the bathroom moved, you would have a couple more feet width in that same bedroom. The closet then can move to wall on the right, giving you a full wall for windows to the front of the house.

For the kitchen, your on a good starting path. I would remove the closet in the kitchen. For a good kitchen you will need to pull out the triangle rule (very rough way to layout a kitchen) This flow path would put the points on the range, sink, and ref. I would put an opening in the bottom wall of the kitchen, while removing the wall to the right between the dining and kitchen. Rotate your range 90* to face the kitchen, and center in the wall to the left backing the bedroom. You can slip the ref. to the left of the range where the closet is now. Place the sink where it is now, but put a cab with 12-14" bar top opening to the dining room. This should open up the plan a bit more, and allow for more light to enter the kitchen. The windows to the front of the living room is an odd ball. There is a lack of space between the back wall and the couch. There should be at a min. of 3' for a good flow path into the dining. You might need to reconfigure your furniture to accommodate that. The windows in the front of the living room should be centered in that wall, or the front elevation will feel "off"

I think your plan is developing nicely. The main issue is the human element being accounted for with flow and use at the forefront.