Drawing in Isometric

Wilbri

I have in the past (meaning prior to CAD, yes I am rather ancient) spent much of my time producing isometric drawings manually.

I consider myself reasonably proficient at 2D CAD so have decided to enter the 3D arena.

I am particularly interested in piping isometrics and would welcome some advice.

I am looking for direction here rather than receiving advice to take a course as I do not presently have sufficient time to attend.

I am using AutoCad 2007

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wilbri

• ReMark

• Patrick Hughes

• JD Mather

Hello Wiibri,

I suggest using solids. AutoCAD is a little cumbersome in this regard but once you're familiar with it I think it will do the job for you. The thing is using solids you'll be able to check interferences, create numerous isometrics as well as plan and elevation views if needed.

If you decide upon this course of action get to know the UCS and how to manipulate it for construction purposes. I always keep the UCS icon on so I know where in the drawing I am.

I imagine you would have plenty of questions as you go along, but there are plenty of people here to help.

Thanks for your input folks.

I am presently graduating from 2D so am looking for elementary information.

Solids is possibly the correct way to go, but yes ReMark single line isometrics is what I am looking for at present.

In times past when we manually drew an isometric arrangement drawing and then detailed the various assembled components as single line spool drawings. I used to generate about 20 of these spools a day complete with bill of materials. (for fabrication purposes.) (I am aware of propriety software like CadWorx which offer this facility provided of course that one can afford the to purchase it.)

I am certain that this exercise would be achieved in using Acad.

Intend to progress to solids from here.

Thank you for the reference tutorial Tankman, I will download and comment in due course.

The key to drawing in 3D, at least for me, is having my UCS icon visible in the lower left-hand corner of my screen so I know where my X, Y and Z directions are at any given time. Disclaimer: I do not like nor do I use the Dynamic UCS. Sorry guys. Another important and related element is getting used to manipulating your UCS so you can draw in different planes. I also tend to set the "view" of my workspace to a SE isometric. I work mostly off of hand sketches I've done on isometric grid paper to create the isometrics in CAD. Each sheet has a small North arrow in the upper left-hand corner to keep me oriented.

Thanks ReMark

I have also been inclined to manually draw isometrics to the S-E in the past.

Two questions:

1) What are you inferring as regards Dynamic UCS, has this anything to do with the dynamic activation on the status bar?

2) How do you draw a vertical line in isometric format. The only way I have discovered is to draw a line at 135 degrees.

Is there some other method?

Tankman

I intend downloading your referred tutorial once I have completed this reply and will need some time to digest prior to commenting.

Patrick

You have suggested using solids.

I have had some exposure to solids. Acquired a copy of Mastering AutoCad 2004 by George Omura in that year, Read and did the examples shown in Chapter 19 - Mastering 3D solids. Most impressive, but that is as far as I got.

Maybe you could enlighten me further. I am very familiar with UCS.

Thank you for your input JD Mather. I intend following up in due course.

Just clear one thing up for me. Will you be doing this in 2D or 3D? In 2D it is pretty much the way one would do it on the board with a set of triangles and a straightedge of some sort. There is no need to turn on or use (manipulate/orient) the UCS since you're not working in a 3D world.

In a 3D world to draw vertically one must first reorient the UCS. X will still be to the right; Y will be pointing straight up (vertically) and Z will be coming out of the screen directly towards you.

The Dynamic UCS can be enabled via a button at the bottom left-hand side of your screen I believe. Like I said, I don't use it but others, like JDM, I believe use it quite often. Each to his own. I've no quarrel with that.

Hi Wibri,

Well, I suggested Solids not fully knowing what you were after. If simple single line isometric then maybe that is not the right approach. I would perhaps still suggest creating your schematic in 3d though. I also work pretty much in SE view. The thing about solids is as I mentioned being able to run interference checks, also you can produce renders if wanted.

Working in 3d to draw a vertical line you need to either input a Z coordinate into the command response or change the orientation of the UCS.

Speaking of the UCS if you are familiar with lisp programs I've got something called AutoUCS.lsp on my download page that allows for some pretty quick manipulation of the UCS you might want to try. It uses something called the "grread" function that automatically responds to the keyboard input eliminating the need to press enter as it works with the UCS command. There is a little video the demos its use.

To set up isometric in 2D...

Command: SNAP

Type "S" for Style then press Enter.

For snap grid style type "I" for Isometric then press Enter.

For vertical spacing accept (or change) the default of 0.50 then press Enter.

Your crosshairs should appear in isometric mode. They may also be two colors (green and red) and may "snap" to a grid. To enable/disable this snap feature press the F9 key.

To toggle the three isoplanes (top, right and left) use your F5 key.

If you want the grid visible use the Grid command. On/Off are two of the choices along with spacing interval, etc.

That's about it.

Thank you ReMark

"Just what the doctor ordered"

I do notice that although the cursor cross-hairs have changed to isometric, but when attempting to draw lines with the polar settings set on isometric. that there is no restriction on the angle setting as in 3D mode. the horizontal and vertical polar settings remain. Or have I missed out some other settings?

Would assume that one assigns the angle to 30, 60 or 90 degrees as one would do when using one of those ancient drafting tools termed a set square?

Polar settings? If you are referring to Polar Tracking I would suggest turning it off.

Restrictions on angles? The basic restrictions are defined by the three isoplanes. Are you attempting to create a rolling offset that you need a different angle?

ReMark

I rechecked your instructions regarding settings but continued to have my lines rubber banding, (possibly not well explained previously), so continued to investigated further and resolved the matter by turning on ortho mode, which defaults to the isometric setting.

This set-up is now working just as you described, whereby one changes drawing in the X, Y and Z planes by toggling using F5 key.

Problem resolved.

Now all I need to do is introduce my BOM chart which I plan to do by importing from Excel.

Finally I would like to return to BLOCKS as I am not entirely clear regarding this subject.

Having resolved the above I believe that I will have sufficient knowledge of 2D to go onto 3D, a subject that really interests me.

I'm glad to hear you got it squared away.

Re: BOM chart. I believe 2008 introduced "Data Linking" between Excel and AutoCAD. Is that the method you use?

Blocks? What aren't you clear about regarding blocks?

There are a number of 3D experts here that can advise you on the subject. Working in plain vanilla AutoCAD when it comes to 3D piping is a bit more of a challenge but it can be done.

ReMark

i am actually referring to blocks in 2D format.

Is there a difference when using 3D.

I fill follow up with details of my concerns in due course.

I assumed you were referring to 2D blocks. In your case I suspect we may be talking valves, fittings and instrumentation?

Yes Remark you are correct, but also including AWS Welding symbols.

Are the welding symbols available on blocks free of charge or if not I will need to draw and make blocks of them them? Can one insert and then add the leader?

Having said this, my present concern is where and how to save them in a file that would be accessible to all drawings I intend producing.

I am applying Acad 2007 here.

Able to make and insert a block but it is the recovery thereof that I have a concern with.

AWS welding symbols? I can't recall where I might have seen such blocks. I'll have to look around.

Like anything else welding blocks could be created from scratch if need be. I think you would incorporate the leader wouldn't you as part of the block?

Where to save blocks? Create a Blocks folder and then create a Welding Symbols subfolder and store the blocks there. You might want to consider adding the path to the Blocks folder in your support files search path via Tools > Options > Files.

Accessing the blocks can be done in a variety of ways. One is via the Design Center. Another is to create Tool Palettes. In your case you might have tool plaettes not only for your welding symbol blocks but also for your valves, fittings, and instrumentation.

Does any of this help you at all?