Assignment help

peterg

I am just going through me college assignment and could do with a little help with a few questions, any input would be appreciated.

• Identify the need to convert a block/symbol back to ist original constituent parts.
  • The benefits of creating attributed blocks/symbols
  • the need to identify the location of a new UCS by means of an icon
  • The reason for naming a UCS & toggling between different UCS origins.
  • Identify the purpose of the range of different drawing spaces available
  • State why view scaling is applied to view areas in a drawing.
  • state why a drawing space may be used to layout a drawing ready for printing.

I think that will do for now, many thanks in appreciation of your help.

Are you quoting the questions exactly as put to you or are you paraphrasing? I doubt anyone will do your work for you, and the way the questions are asked don't make a whole lot of sense, most of them anyway.

I am just going through me college assignment and could do with a little help with a few questions, any input would be appreciated.

• Identify the need to convert a block/symbol back to ist original constituent parts. Are you asking why a block might be exploded?
  • The benefits of creating attributed blocks/symbols You must be referring to data extraction.
  • the need to identify the location of a new UCS by means of an icon Huh? Might you be asking about relocating the origin of the UCS?
  • The reason for naming a UCS & toggling between different UCS origins. Are you planning on recalling some saved views?
  • Identify the purpose of the range of different drawing spaces available Huh? "the purpose of the range?" Makes no sense.
  • State why view scaling is applied to view areas in a drawing. Are you inquiring about scaling viewports in a layout?
  • state why a drawing space may be used to layout a drawing ready for printing. Are you asking about some of the benefits to using a layout?

Those have to be some of the worst though out questions I've encountered in a while. Who came up with them?

Those have to be some of the worst though out questions I've encountered in a while. Who came up with them?

City & Guilds

:oops:

I'm guessing, "City and Guilds is trying to learn AutoCAD?"

The questions aren't well thought out as ReMark remarked! :lol:

Then it must be a language thing. Most of the questions are poorly formed. No offense. I am not knocking you personally. I think the word I'm looking for is ambiguous.

Then it must be a language thing.

No, I don't think that is so. It sounds to me like academese, written by someone with no experience of earning a living using AutoCAD ouside academia.

But if you can give the answers that they are looking for, you will pass. :D

to me it just reads out of context

Is this the AutoCAD city and guilds, or is it some other subject?

The answers would be easier to provide within the context of a specific industrial field which the program is being used in

Peterg, we don't do students' homework FOR them here, but if you want to learn and be part of our online community you'll find we'll bend over backwards to help you out

What did answers were you thinking of putting down? Give us some indication you've had a go at this, and we'll be happy to discuss alternative answers with you (though from experience, what our experienced professionals know is the answer, and what tutors want writing down is usually two different things!)

to me it just reads out of context

Is this the AutoCAD city and guilds, or is it some other subject?

The answers would be easier to provide within the context of a specific industrial field which the program is being used in

Peterg, we don't do students' homework FOR them here, but if you want to learn and be part of our online community you'll find we'll bend over backwards to help you out

What did answers were you thinking of putting down? Give us some indication you've had a go at this, and we'll be happy to discuss alternative answers with you (though from experience, what our experienced professionals know is the answer, and what tutors want writing down is usually two different things!)

My original question was not to infer that someone did my homework for me, but as a request for direction, I have found on another link a 40 chapter tutorial, which I have downloaded and will print off as referance material.

I am not a school boy wanting some one to do my work for me, but a mature student (the wrong side of 40) learning Autocad out of personal choice (even paying for my own course), as I have always been interested in drawing from my youth as an apprentice.

I appologise in advance to anyone who may take offence at what may seem a terse response (certainly not intended to be terse). As other posters noted the wording is ambiguous to put it mildly.

On a lighter note "Life is short & getting shorter by the day" lol

A few thoughts in red:

• Identify the need to convert a block/symbol back to ist original constituent parts. Exploding Blocks is a big No-No under almost all circumstances.
  • The benefits of creating attributed blocks/symbols. Do a search here for attributed blocks for different applications for it
  • the need to identify the location of a new UCS by means of an icon. A picture says more than a thousand words
  • The reason for naming a UCS & toggling between different UCS origins. Remembering which UCS of 1, 2 and 3 is which is a hassle.
  • Identify the purpose of the range of different drawing spaces available. Assuming that it's Model and Paper Space that they mean - do a search here for dimensioning paper space, that is one way to use it.
  • State why view scaling is applied to view areas in a drawing. huh?
  • state why a drawing space may be used to layout a drawing ready for printing. See two steps up

I think previous posters have said all that needs to be said, good luck with your City & Guild :)

Ah, welcome back Peterg :)

I hope you didn't take my words too harshly, but we do frequently receive requests in this format, which generally head off in the same direction. My post was more intended to offer an explanation as to why the members don't seem to have got their teeth into your request as readily as they may have

Now you've introduced yourself, glad to have you aboard :)

1. The main reason (in my opinion) for exploding blocks (which, as Tiger says, is practically a hanging offence) would be to edit the block on a permanent basis. Examples should be examined, such as a standard component which is now being updated, but a new block should be created rather than leaving a heap of lines with no block functions. Creating a new block will enable the user to find and replace other instances of the old block easily (for instance)
  2. Attributed blocks are particularly useful for elements such as title blocks, where inserted text will all come out in the same style and location to produce a standard across a drawing set. Electrical components with individual numbers also benefit for the same reason
  3. I don't generally need the UCS, so somebody else can answer that :wink:
  4. Different drawing spaces? Modelspace enables you to produce the entire drawing all in one place at 1:1 scale, which makes for easier editing further down the line, whilst paperspace acts as a picture frame through to the modelspace, facilitating easier viewing of finer detail, or views from opposing angles
  5. View scaling: ambiguous, but I'm guessing this refers to 'scaling the viewport'. The old method of AutoCAD drawing involved producing your model then scaling the entire drawing (if you weren't scaling via the plot command), so we still get requests of how to deal with drawings produced this way which now need editing, but are at a difficult scale to handle. Viewport scaling works as I've described above for modelspace and paperspace
  6. Drawing space? Ambiguous again. Do they mean paperspace consisting of one or more viewports, or the viewports themselves?

I think you'll find that's clear as mud :thumbsup:

Ah, welcome back Peterg :)

I hope you didn't take my words too harshly, but we do frequently receive requests in this format, which generally head off in the same direction. My post was more intended to offer an explanation as to why the members don't seem to have got their teeth into your request as readily as they may have

Now you've introduced yourself, glad to have you aboard :)

1. The main reason (in my opinion) for exploding blocks (which, as Tiger says, is practically a hanging offence) would be to edit the block on a permanent basis. Examples should be examined, such as a standard component which is now being updated, but a new block should be created rather than leaving a heap of lines with no block functions. Creating a new block will enable the user to find and replace other instances of the old block easily (for instance)
  2. Attributed blocks are particularly useful for elements such as title blocks, where inserted text will all come out in the same style and location to produce a standard across a drawing set. Electrical components with individual numbers also benefit for the same reason
  3. I don't generally need the UCS, so somebody else can answer that :wink:
  4. Different drawing spaces? Modelspace enables you to produce the entire drawing all in one place at 1:1 scale, which makes for easier editing further down the line, whilst paperspace acts as a picture frame through to the modelspace, facilitating easier viewing of finer detail, or views from opposing angles
  5. View scaling: ambiguous, but I'm guessing this refers to 'scaling the viewport'. The old method of AutoCAD drawing involved producing your model then scaling the entire drawing (if you weren't scaling via the plot command), so we still get requests of how to deal with drawings produced this way which now need editing, but are at a difficult scale to handle. Viewport scaling works as I've described above for modelspace and paperspace
  6. Drawing space? Ambiguous again. Do they mean paperspace consisting of one or more viewports, or the viewports themselves?

I think you'll find that's clear as mud :thumbsup:

Crystal, many thanks, still sifting through other referance material.

No offence taken or made, I'm too old & life's too short.:thumbsup:

Yup deffinately city and guilds questions, if i still had my old handwritten question re-writes i'd post them up, i must have re-written the questions WAY too many times for the others on the course but starting 6 months after me just so they half made sense!

The actual name is the Royal High Office of Obfuscation also know as the City & Guilds Council for Ambiguity and Against Clarity.:lol:

"Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation." Meaning "avoid ambiguity, adopt clarity." :P