Draw/Point/Measure/Inserrt Block query

Stanier

Hello - Using Autocad 2000, I wish to use the Draw/Point/Measure/Insert Block/Interval command to insert a line of holes as defined by the block at the specified interval but at the end of the command sequence the line of holes is appearing away from the given line. Strange because I have used this command sequence before in other drawings with the desired results but for some reason it is not behaving as expected in the current drawing. Can someone please explain what the problem might be.

Many thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stanier

• Fire_col

• eldon

• CarlB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing unusual about the coordinates. Drawn object is in imperial units hving dimensions typically 6" by 62. As a further piece of infomation. Using the similiar Draw/Point/Divide/Num of divisions sequence in the same drawing works exactly as expected. Incidently, the displaced line of holes in the Measure sequence is being place some 3ins off target if that is of any assistance.

Thank you for your time.

Check that the insert point of the block is really what you think it is ,since it's the insert point that is placed along the object.

Check that the insert point of the block is really what you think it is ,since it's the insert point that is placed along the object.

I would agree with CarlB, use the insert command and see if the block is centered on your cursor or if it is offset. If offset then that is the problem and you will have to fix the block.

Hi - Your analysis is correct. The block insertion point is not centred on the cursor but how do I draw the block to ensure that it is?

Thanks again

Hi - I am sorry to flog this but I cannot work out how to redefine the base point to co incide with the cursor. The block editor displays the option to 'Pick Point' with the three boxes for X, Y and Z but what data should I be entering?

Click on pick point then it'll ask you to choose on the drawing where you want the base point to be, you don't need to enter anything just click with the cursor and that's it your basepoint is selected.

Hi - Thank you for your reply. I think that I may have a currupt file because I have followed your instructions and on trying to re- insert the block, it is still being place some way off the cursor. Any suggestions as to what I should try next?

Use the advanced reply option on this forum and there is an option for attach just like in an e-mail. When the attach file dialogue comes up choose browse where it says upload from your computer, and choose the problem drawing then hit attach when it's attched just hit post reply then I'll have a look at it for you.

Right I've managed to do it.

Insert your block, select it once inserted, right click and choose block editor on the menu. When the editor opens up type the command 'bparameter' then enter b, for base, then choose where you want the base point to be. then close the block editor, a dialogue box will come up telling you that you've changed something and do you want to save, click yes.

Now when you insert your block it will have the base point desired.

Thank you for your reply but I am running AutoCad 2000 and I do not appear to have the right click option for 'block editor' available and the command line does not recognise the command 'bparameter'. I will not be around for the next couple of hours to read your replies but will come back on line this afternoon. Will look forward to picking up the thread. Thanks again.

Ok just type bedit, and then choose your block and it will open the block editor for that block. Then run the bparameter command.

Right I've managed to do it.

Insert your block, select it once inserted, right click and choose block editor on the menu. When the editor opens up type the command 'bparameter' then enter b, for base, then choose where you want the base point to be. then close the block editor, a dialogue box will come up telling you that you've changed something and do you want to save, click yes.

Now when you insert your block it will have the base point desired.

I am afraid that you are describing a technique that was not available in the days of r2000.

I have done it in another way that is available.

First insert the block "3-64 Rivet" anywhere in the drawing. Find it because it is 5+" from the insertion point, and explode it. Then go to Draw, Block, Make. Enter in the same name "3-64 rivet", then for the Base point use the Pick point button and choose the centre of the circle. Then click on OK at the bottom, then a box comes up saying that the block is already defined. Do you want to re-define it? Click on the Yes, and that is it.

BlockDefine.jpg

I am afraid that you are describing a technique that was not available in the days of r2000.

Sorry I'm not too familiar with 2000, your method was going to be my next port of call, if mine had failed, which I now know it ultimately would have :).