Fillet command joins the two lines in a curve? How to make it an edge?

GavinToTheO

When i used the fillet command in auto cad 2009 it would join two lines at a point. However when i began using auto cad 2002 the fillet command joins the two lines with a curve. How do i get this back to join to a point?

Sounds like in 2009 you were filleting with zero radius?

Not realy good practice, try the EXTEND command instead.

OK, I will bite, why is it not good practice to fillet with a zero radius?

Not realy good practice, try the EXTEND command instead.

I'd like to know why it's not really good practice also... I've been doing it for years. You mean I've been doing it wrong all this time?

I'd like to know why it's not really good practice also... I've been doing it for years. You mean I've been doing it wrong all this time?
3rd'd. I've also been doing it for years.

I guess I could see it not being as "efficient" as extend, because you have to reset your radius to zero, and then again to whatever radius you need later on.

But bad practice? seems a little harsh :wink:

I - um - fourth the question?

Although I use chamfer to connect 2 lines with a square corner so I can keep my fillet radius to whatever I am currently using.

Glen

I said its "not realy good practice" because I have known it to leave a 'dot' at the intersection which when you list it is in fact a zero rad, zero length arc.

OK; so not all versions / Acad products will do this, probably only the older stuff.

If you have been doing it this way without problems then fair enough (but have you looked to see if the 'dot' is there?).

Can't comment on the zero chamfer method - never looked at it.

I have this in my acaddoc.lsp file... prevents needing to change the radius value

(defun c:j (/ fr tm oldecho)
 (setq fr (getvar "filletrad")
       tm (getvar "trimmode")
       oldecho (getvar "cmdecho"))
  (setvar "filletrad" 0)
  (setvar "trimmode" 1)
  (setvar "cmdecho" 0) 
  (prompt "Select two lines to join: ")
 (command "fillet" pause pause)
 (setvar "filletrad" fr)
 (setvar  "trimmode" tm)
 (setvar "cmdecho" oldecho)
(princ)
)

I've never seen a 'dot' show up.

I have this in my acaddoc.lsp file... prevents needing to change the radius value...

...I've never seen a 'dot' show up.

I was about to post something like this myself - I have an "F0" command just for fillet radius zero that saves the current radius setting to a varaible, sets it to zero for the command and then resets to the stored value when finished.

works perfect every time & I have used it for years...

& I too have never seen this "dot" that is spoken of...

and on another note about this approach to joining to lines to make a corner... using fillet instead of extend/ possible trim takes fewer steps and is much more efficient when the command is set up to save your radius value as noted above.

p e a c e ! ! !

8)

If you hold the shift key down when filleting, it will temporarily fillet with a 0 radius, regardless of set fillet radius.

If you hold the shift key down when filleting, it will temporarily fillet with a radius zero, regardless of set fillet radius.

Very cool... I did not know that, but - your post is missing a word in order to actually be accurate... see my bold red text above in your quote

I tried it with the set radius at zero and it did just that - regardless of the shift key... but a very cool trick nonetheless.

every now and then I find out that AutoDesk has actually added something simple yet helpful and useful like this - I also recently discovered the same trick with the trim/ extend commands... in case you didn't know - they work very similar... when executing either of the two you can hold the shift key and switch to the other mid command... rather handy if you ask me.

anyway, thank for the little fillet tip - take it easy...

p e a c e ! ! !

8)

Very cool... I did not know that, but - your post is missing a word in order to actually be accurate... see my bold red text above in your quote

I tried it with the set radius at zero and it did just that - regardless of the shift key... but a very cool trick nonetheless.

every now and then I find out that AutoDesk has actually added something simple yet helpful and useful like this - I also recently discovered the same trick with the trim/ extend commands... in case you didn't know - they work very similar... when executing either of the two you can hold the shift key and switch to the other mid command... rather handy if you ask me.

p e a c e ! ! !

8)

Oops. Corrected. Enjoy. :)

Been using chamfer zero distance for years. Added a switch to the end of the command in the cui so it automatically repeats the command until I am done. No more selecting the command over and over everytime I have a bunch of corners I want to make.

I'm an electrical drafter and I really use it alot.

p e a c e ! ! !

8)

That's been around for quite some time, but I know what you mean. I accidently discovered that holding shift will reverse your ortho setting as well. Along with double clicking a pline automatically throwing you into pedit, theres a few other I can't remember that I've "stumbled" upon over the years.

I was also unaware of holding shift setting your fillet radius to 0, handy tip to have as I do it alot, thanks alanjt!

That's been around for quite some time, but I know what you mean. I accidently discovered that holding shift will reverse your ortho setting as well. Along with double clicking a pline automatically throwing you into pedit, theres a few other I can't remember that I've "stumbled" upon over the years.

I was also unaware of holding shift setting your fillet radius to 0, handy tip to have as I do it alot, thanks alanjt!

:) Happy CAD'ing.